Rank field is multiplying like rabbits

Susan Hauth Community Champion Sep 10, 2012

In our custom field configuration we had a single field called "Rank" that is type "Global Rank" and is configured for all projects. I even put a little description to "DO NOT DELETE" because we use greenhopper to prioritize many of our projects. In the last couple of weeks I noticed that Rank had somehow managed to reproduce itself as an additional custom field over and over again. It seems to be multiplying like rabbits.

We do specify to use "Rank" for ranking in Agile, but we haven't touched that configuration in quite a while. So not sure what's going on and I don't want to delete them in case that messes up ranking in one of the projects, but it seems to be increasing.

1 answer

1 votes

That is very odd. What does your log file say about it?

When you go into Greenhopper and configure which field(s) it should use for ranking, do you see the same huge long list of rank fields?

That aside, I really don't think it should be a problem if you deleted the extra ones. I'm worried about how they're being added, but the main global one should be fine as it is.

Susan Hauth Community Champion Sep 11, 2012

Yes there is a long list of those Rank fields when I'm in the configuration for Agile. I would need to ask our system admin re the log file, but I thought I would start here. It is odd, but I may try deleting them and see what happens. Hopefully I won't have the user community up in arms if the priority list goes awry.

It is always worth asking :-)

I really don't think you'll break anything as long as you retain the main global one.

Susan Hauth Community Champion Sep 11, 2012

I have deleted all those rank fields and will monitor to see if they reoccur. Thanks

Susan Hauth Community Champion Sep 16, 2012

And they're back!! 3 more rank fields showed up today. I think it must be related to when we moved some issues up the queue in Agile.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,959 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot