Rank association to boards

Kristin Jones December 14, 2017

We're using JIRA cloud, and have several different boards using a common filter query. All of the boards have Ranking enabled. 

Noticed recently that changing Rank of an issue on one board causes the Rank to change for the same issue on a different board. 

Previously I worked on JIRA Server (v6?), and I vaguely recall that Rank was specific to the board. In other words, same issues, different Rank dependent on what board you were on. 

Is that not the case with cloud? What is the Rank handling across boards, across filter queries, or across what?

Thanks for any insight that can be provided. 

-KJ 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

I think your memory may be wrong.  Rank is a global field, and it ranks every issue against every other issue, irrespective of type, project, board etc.

Certainly possible that my memory is incorrect on this. I just remember looking at server schema back then, and seeing board IDs associated with rank data. Again, this could have been old obsolete or deprecated functionality even at that time. 

Also, the Rank data at the time was not integer-based. It was alpha-numeric in nature.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

When "Software" was "Greenhopper", there was an association, but that's before v6!

probably what I'm thinking of. 

Is there a way to associate a Rank with a single board, and not have changes to the Rank elsewhere affect it on that single board? I see this explanation of having "multiple fields of type Global Rank", and wondering if there is some way to implement that from the client-side? 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/sorting-by-rank-does-not-show-expected-values-779158900.html

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

You can try adding multiple rank fields, but it tends to be a complete disaster, as each field makes a nonsense of the others.

It's no real sense to have boards ranked differently as well.  If one issue is more important than another, why should it appear differently on different boards?

Good question! 

One use-case has to do with dueling product managers. You have multiple epics, for which a product manager may have purview over some; a different product manager has purview over others. Each product manager has their own board. Each PM wants to see all his stuff up at the top, because they can't filter for multiple epics at a time. 

Another use-case would be multiple teams working on the same project, each with a separate team board. Same essential problem - the scrum master of each team wants to order all their team's items up to the top in a variety of fashions. 

There are probably different ways you can get to this - through filters, labels, custom fields, etc. But in the end, it would be so much easier if there was a board-specific Rank.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

Global ranking forces product managers to co-operate (or just look stupid - their choice)

Boards don't have to include everything.  If a PM doesn't care about a set of issues because it's not their project, don't include them on their boards.  Then the global ranking relative to the stuff the do care about is irrelevant, as they don't see it.

There is no problem here, just use the global ranking to indicate actual real life importance of everything, and then let the boards focus on each PM's area, excluding the stuff in other areas.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer