RTC > Jira import - certain fields

CJ E January 22, 2014

Hi,

I'm fairly new to JIRA

I am trying to Export work items from RTC out to .csv then Import the work items into JIRA via the .csv importer

I seem to be getting a lot of issues with the Estimates "Unable to Parse original Estimate: [7h 30m]"

I have tried going into the .csv file and trying different column formats, i've tried different options (hours, hour, h, mins, min, m) but no luck

I set the due date in the .csv file to 25/04/2014 14:34 and the due date that appears in JIRA in 25/Jan/14

Does anyone know a way around these issues?

4 answers

0 votes
CJ E February 4, 2014

Yes they do, but it becomes a bit more difficult when you have "h" and "m" in the cells.

I was kind of angling at a simple way of doing this without having to write functions and scripts, tools like RTC don't require you to do anything like this. It looks as though there isn't so i will have to look at my options

thanks all for the replies

0 votes
CJ E February 4, 2014

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

i am slightly confused how, if i create a issue in JIRA it says to type it in as example "3w 4d 12h" which is the format i have in my .csv file ready to import, although in order to import it into JIRA i have to tailor my .csv file to milliseconds. I have to be honest i have no clue how to convert this to milliseconds.

Surely other users have migrated RTC work items to JIRA? So surely there must be some sort of method/process

Any help on this is hugely appreciated, i need to come to a decision whether we can migrate the work items or not, if we can't it may be a blocker for a large number of our users

Regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2014

Jira takes your 3w, 4d, 12h and converts it to milliseconds to store it. Then it converts it back when it needs to display it.

You'll need to do the same - 1 sec = 1000 ms, 1 minute = 60s, 1h = 60m, and so-on.

CJ E February 4, 2014

So if i have a estimate of 1h i will have to work it out and convert it manually in the .csv file?

so.....

1h would be 60m/3600s/3600000ms so i would replace the entry in the .csv file to 3600000

How would that work if i have an .csv export file with 300odd work items?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2014

Spreadsheets - they read and output CSV, and have formula functions

0 votes
CJ E January 29, 2014

i had an initial look with the "Look and Feel" section but was still unsuccessful, i belive there is more test i can run so i will do this.

I'm still struggling to get the Estimates from RTC into JIRA, It doesnt seem to want to take the estimates (eg 7 h 30 m) even though the format when creating a work item in JIRA is the same. Any advice on this would be much appreciatede as this is the main issue at the moment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2014

Ah, that's just an input and display thing. The data is stored in milliseconds or seconds (sorry, I can't remember exactly which) and to import them, I think you need to convert them to that in your CSV

0 votes
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

Hi CJE,

The date format that your Jira Instance will accept is indicated in your look and feel section, there should also be a link to the different ways that they can be displayed.

From there on it's just fiddling with your CSV file to display the dates in the same format (or changing the format in Jira).

Suggest an answer