RESTORE JIRA software xml from lower version onto a different platform

Deleted user December 11, 2017

I have read some 'tips', including @Brant Schroeder posting on 

Assuming I have the xml backup zip from previous JIRA site (JIRA Software v7.3.2), due to corporate standard, I need to restore onto different platform, precisely from linux/mysql to win/sql. Since the version of JIRA software also updated to 7.6.0, I have started from a fresh instance running latest version.

I am looking for your experience sharing for this kind of restoring or any suggestion for me to conduct this complete site 'refactoring' actually. 

export to a zip, then restore this very zip file, I can see many 'things' restored, which I believe no way to customize, just 'pour' in, correct ? 

2 answers

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Hi QA,

If I understand correctly you would like clarification on whether you can customize the import.  In the example where you take an XML backup of an instance and restore it to another instance there is no customization as the importer just makes the current system match the imported system.  This is explained a bit further in Migrating JIRA applications to another server.

This is pretty much the same as Restoring a project from backup.  The import does not allow customizations but you can definitely make changes after the import. 

Let me know if that clarifies things or if there is something I missed.

Cheers,

Branden

Thank you @somethingblue and so nice to see doctor who tardis. I had one at home :-)

1. regarding your line - "the importer just makes the current system match the imported system"

for my case - current system would be win/sql , imported system would be linux/mysql , right ?

2. xml backup/restore would cover the database difference? after restoring from a linux/mysql backup, I would be seeing all the content on a win/sql platform, if so, what would be the limitation of restoring - size wise ? or no limit ?

3.customization - right , customize afterwards

4. what about user info?

"You will be logged out after the restore process. Make sure you know your login details in the data being restored."

I wonder how to deal with LDAP merged user directory, anything this backup zip would modify on system configuration or just copy /paste the users ? 

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Hi Quan,

Since you're going from a Linux/MySQL to Win/MSSQL the instructions in Migrating JIRA applications to another server will work perfectly for you since that provides guidance to move from one type of system to another so the issues, etc will be imported into your new system successfully and it will be like your current instance (Windows) will be like your current (Linux) install.

In regards to size limitations you would need at least the same amount of space on the filesystem where the db is located as at previous db held for a successful import and then you'll need to consider growth.  There is a good knowledge base article titled the JIRA Sizing Guide that has a table that shows JVM and space requirements under various circumstances.  Take a look at that document for more details for more environmental considerations.

In regards to your users, the database holds the information for the user directory so you should be good in that regard as well.

Cheers,

Branden

Deleted user December 12, 2017

Yes, @somethingblue  Thank you very much again.   also got JIRA Sizing Guide

Once my win/mssql ready, I just restore zip from linux/mysql to see how it goes, hope that could satisfy 'migrating'.

Meanwhile, even I only need the data from projects sitting on linux/mysql, the best way to do a 'data migration' between two JIRA instances would be 'restoring' a zip, so I just wish from 7.3.2 linux/mysql to 7.6.0 win/mssql can reach a success. :-)  

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

This has long been the path to upgrade to a new version of JIRA. Just make sure the notes from 7.6.0 don't say anything about needing to pass through an interim release. 

Thank you @Joe Pitt  yes, keep calm and carry on!  hope I can do that all the time. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events