RAM Sizing for JIRA + Bitbucket + Confluence

Mosh January 24, 2018

Hi there,
I want to build up a virtual machine to host JIRA Software + JIRA Service Desk + Bitbucket + Confluence.  20 end-users. All are server versions (on-premise hosted on AWS).

How much RAM do you think I need in total? Are there any relevant white papers that Atlassian provides?

P.S. I assume we can put them all on one host (hosted on AWS. One host in order to avoid taking more than 1 server). If I wrong please let me know.

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2018

Hi there,

you can find sizing guides at Atlassian, like for Jira: https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html

But ultimately, in my experience, 2GB for each should work.

As you keep working with them, it's worth checking back whether they need more or less ram, especially if your business grows.

I'd also keep a lookout for HDD space, I've seen it dropping to zero multiple times because the admins forgot to add more space as the instances grew.

Usually I suggest to put everything on their own virtual machine so they would not affect each other (and backup reasons) but for 20 users your solution seems perfectly fine. Just don't forget to think about how much growth you expect, as for 100 users I'd definitely go with separate servers.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Krisz

Suggest an answer