Quick search does not work for projects containing underscore

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

Hi

I am on jira 5.0

I observed that when you enter the issue key say JCC-2 in the quick search box and press enter you are directed to the issue.

This feature works fine for projects with project keys containing all alphabets. But moment i use this feature for projects containing underscore or numbers in the project key, it to bring up the issue.

Is there a workaround to this problem.

e.g.

JAA-2 works

HOTBALL-5 works

but

JOE1-55 does not work

COLD_BALL-45 does not work.

HAs anyone experienced this issue?

When i say does not work, it means that JQL window simply searches for summary ~JOE1-55 OR

description ~ JOE1-55 OR comment ~ JOE1-55 and returns the results for it; but not the issue JOE1-55.

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2013

It's a known issue and (was) a contentious one. Atlassian did not officially support anything other than Alphabetic characters in the project keys. This has been causing problems for many years because that's far too limited. What's particularly frustrating is that many sites found and used the "enable other characters" flag, as you have, while Atlassian were gradually removing any vestige of code that could support us in the future.

From memory, the searching in version 5.0 only works fully and properly on projects that use letters and nothing else in the key. They announced that the flag for customised keys would be removed completely in 6.0, but have realised that is completely unnacceptable and from 6.1 will support letters, numbers and an underscore, and it will be complete support.

So, I'm afraid, you're a bit stuck for now, but if you went to 6.1, it should work fine.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

Thanks Nic for your response. The JQL query issuekey=JOE1-55 works perfectly fine, its just the quick search which is messed up. But anyways, thanks for your response.

Do you recommend updating the project key in the database to get round this problem?

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2013

If you can't wait until upgrade to 6.1, then it might be the only route. You could also create a new project with a searchable key and move your issues into it.

Personally, I'd prefer to simply warn the users that quick-search has a bug and it's fixed in 6.1, then wiffle about an upgrade :-)

Suggest an answer