Quick Filters for Search Results

Ted_Epstein February 20, 2015

The quick filter feature is a great convenience in the agile views.  But it would really help to be able to apply quick filters to search results.

My most common scenario:  I do a quick search for a particular word or phrase.  I want to filter the search results to show only open issues (where "open" means it's in one of several workflow states).    I'd like to be able to set up a quick filter for open issues, and apply it to the search results.  Is there any way to do this?

3 answers

1 vote
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2015

Hi Ted, 

As Jobin mentioned, your best option in this case would be to create filters that do what you'd like and then use it on another filter. 

E.g.: Filter:

AllOpenIssues

status not in (Closed, Resolved)

Then, later, on your Search Issue screen you could have:

Project = A and filter=AllOpenIssues

Which would bring all open issues for a specific project.

Let us know if this helps you. smile

Cheers! 

0 votes
Ted_Epstein February 22, 2015

Thanks, Jobin & Elisa.  This was helpful.

I still think it would be great to have quick filters on search results, the same as in the agile boards.  But I found two reasonably fast workarounds, using shortcut keys, that meet my needs well enough:

1. Use quick search (forward slash key shortcut), type my quick search query and append 'unresolved'  (without the quotes).  This isn't quite as precise as my "Open Issues" filter, but it's close enough for most situations.

2. Go to the find issues screen (global shortcut: g i), and apply the Open Issues filter, defined like this:

project=RepreZen AND status not in (closed, resolved, deferred) AND text ~ visualization

Once I've applied the filter, it seems to stick, and I don't have to re-apply it next time I go to the screen.  I can press the f to focus on the key search window and edit my search string, strategically placed at the end so it's easier to edit.

Hope someone else finds this useful!

Cheers,

- Ted

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2015

You can just use an AND condition with the quick search criteria, right?

There is no way to have a built in option to apply more criteria like you can do in agile boards. You can only extend the search or add another filter to the search using the "filter" clause.

Suggest an answer