Quick Filter mystery

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2013

I have a Kanban board. It has 218 items listed.

It has this quick filter:

"Release Plan" = Urgent

When I engage it, only one issue shows, which is correct.

But when I change it to this:

"Release Plan" != Urgent

No Issues show.

Why?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2013

This is caused by a known bug in the Issue Navigator (which also manages the Quick Filters): https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29179 - Issues with empty value won't be included in results of a negative search.

George, I know you went for labels already, but another workaround would be to change your filter query to "Release plan" != Urgent OR "Release plan" IS EMPTY

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

From a db point of view this isn't actually a bug :-)

It says: All issues with a value different from FooBar. But it doesn't have any value and any comparision with null is null :-)

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

I went for a new field, drop down, single select. And it is acutally more user friendly. The number of choices is small and this way the user only needs to update one field, not two. And the transition post can handle it.

0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

@George Carvill forget about Quick Filters and use the Agile Board Filter

board filtering.png

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

See above.

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

See above.

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

Please make reindexing and try "Release plan" <> Urgent. Perhaps you need inverted comma: "Release plan" <> "Urgent".

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

Thanks.

"<>" was not accepted.

But I have solved it:

I added a default choice to the field and set the value of the field to the default for all of the other Issues. Then I reindexed.

Working now.

Looks like there was some problem from the field being empty for the other records.

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

Oh, I see, it's a select list field with given values. Then it's clear :-)

If nothing is chosen, you would have to check for "IS NULL".

0 votes
Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

Did you map all states to the columns?

The missing issues might all be in the right most column.

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

Then it look slike the searcher for the field "Release Plan" doesn't like the != operator, or you might need to reindex.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2013

Nabil,

Yes they are mapped.

Please understant that they DO show up when the filter is not applied.

All Issues = 218

Urgent Issues = 1

So my expectation is that All Issues that are not Urgent = 217

Suggest an answer