Quick Filter mystery

I have a Kanban board. It has 218 items listed.

It has this quick filter:

"Release Plan" = Urgent

When I engage it, only one issue shows, which is correct.

But when I change it to this:

"Release Plan" != Urgent

No Issues show.

Why?

6 answers

1 accepted

This is caused by a known bug in the Issue Navigator (which also manages the Quick Filters): https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29179 - Issues with empty value won't be included in results of a negative search.

George, I know you went for labels already, but another workaround would be to change your filter query to "Release plan" != Urgent OR "Release plan" IS EMPTY

From a db point of view this isn't actually a bug :-)

It says: All issues with a value different from FooBar. But it doesn't have any value and any comparision with null is null :-)

I went for a new field, drop down, single select. And it is acutally more user friendly. The number of choices is small and this way the user only needs to update one field, not two. And the transition post can handle it.

Did you map all states to the columns?

The missing issues might all be in the right most column.

Then it look slike the searcher for the field "Release Plan" doesn't like the != operator, or you might need to reindex.

Nabil,

Yes they are mapped.

Please understant that they DO show up when the filter is not applied.

All Issues = 218

Urgent Issues = 1

So my expectation is that All Issues that are not Urgent = 217

Please make reindexing and try "Release plan" <> Urgent. Perhaps you need inverted comma: "Release plan" <> "Urgent".

Thanks.

"<>" was not accepted.

But I have solved it:

I added a default choice to the field and set the value of the field to the default for all of the other Issues. Then I reindexed.

Working now.

Looks like there was some problem from the field being empty for the other records.

Oh, I see, it's a select list field with given values. Then it's clear :-)

If nothing is chosen, you would have to check for "IS NULL".

@George Carvill forget about Quick Filters and use the Agile Board Filter

board filtering.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,826 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot