Quick Filter - Multiple Types in One Filter

Darren Callahan October 2, 2017

I would like a quick filter on a project board to include both STORIES and TECHNICAL STORIES.  However, though my JQL goes "green" and is accepted, it doesn't actually work when used.  I tried:

type = story AND technical story (won't take)

types = story AND technical story (won't take)

type = "story" AND type = "technical story" (takes, doesn't work)

types = "story" AND type = "technical story" (won't take)

What is the secret?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2017

Operators like and and or are for joining clauses, not data, that's why your first two lines don't work.

Your second two lines are closer, but have a re-read of the one that "takes" - if you separate the clauses individually, you get "(Issue type = Story) and (Issue type = technical story)".  An issue can only be of one type, you're looking for cases where it's both at the same time.  Try "OR" instead...

Thanks!

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2017

Use the "in" operator like this:

type in (story, "technical story")

Your third query (the only one with valid JQL) is returning issues that have the type of BOTH story and technical story, which can never be true, so it returns zero issues.

That works!  Thanks!

Suggest an answer