Questions that came up while evaluating Zephyr for JIRA 2.1

Prakash Borkar January 29, 2014

We had following questions and required you to help us solve following use case:

A) We have multiple projects created within JIRA each representing a different development sub teams working on same application development.

We would like to have ONE COMMON TEST PROJECT for all sub teams. However we saw that “the PLAN TEST CYCLES page shows all the test cycles” and this will be a problem if we go to create test cycles for all sub projects. The page would look cluttered and unmanageable.

To counter this, we thought of maintaining tests repository in one common TEST project but create/maintain TEST CYCLES/Metrics/Dashboards/Execution Data in respective different jira (sub) projects.

But in that case we were not able to Create Test Cycle in Project_X and add test cases from common TEST project. Tests from other projects cannot be added to test cycles in my project!

How do we allow to add tests from other projects and create test cycles with different sub projects?

Aletrnatively, can we have filters on TEST CYCLE - MANAGE page, to just show my test cycles of my project.

Please help.

Other Features - Nice to have:

1. B) In the “Create Test” process, we saw that the STEPS for the TEST CASE are added in the SECOND attempt.

Person has to first load create test case form, fill details(other than test steps) and click CREATE and then again on the loaded Test Form fill all the “steps” for the test case.

Can we not have a single form which also allows us to add steps in one go while the other fields for test case are filled. Is this configurable at our end?

C) Also can we not have the normal “Create Another” checkbox on create test page which we otherwise have for other jira ticket types.

This will allow us to retain some same values/fields and create new test cases.

Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards

Prakash Borkar

1 answer

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2014

Hi Prakash,

Currently there is not a way to do what it is you are looking for in Zephyr for JIRA. Zephyr for JIRA is 100% project based. This means that you can not copy or share test cases or test cycles between projects. The tests and cycles that you have in each projects will be there and only there.

The best way to get tests out of one project and into another is to export the tests out of project A and then import them into project B.

However, what you are seeking is available in our Zephyr Enterprise Edition. In Zephyr Enterprise you can easily copy tests from one project to antoher. Meaning, you can have one main project that contains all the test cases, and then the other projects and copy the tests out of the main project as they need them.

Also, I am not sure by your question: "Aletrnatively, can we have filters on TEST CYCLE - MANAGE page, to just show my test cycles of my project."

In Zephyr for JIRA, there is not a way to assign cycles to an individual. So I am not sure what you mean to be able to just show your test cyles of your project. Again, Zephyr for JIRA is project based. So any cycles created in the project will be visible.

I am going to answer the rest of your quesitons inline:

1. B) In the “Create Test” process, we saw that the STEPS for the TEST CASE are added in the SECOND attempt.

Person has to first load create test case form, fill details(other than test steps) and click CREATE and then again on the loaded Test Form fill all the “steps” for the test case.

Can we not have a single form which also allows us to add steps in one go while the other fields for test case are filled. Is this configurable at our end?

Zephyr - Yes. This is correct. The issue type test must exist before the test steps or cycles can be added. This is because, test steps and cycles are special custom fields. These special custom fields can not exist until the issye type test has been created. Once there is a test case, then you can add test steps and cycles.

C) Also can we not have the normal “Create Another” checkbox on create test page which we otherwise have for other jira ticket types.

This will allow us to retain some same values/fields and create new test cases.

Zephyr - Can you supply screen shots of the "Create Another" Check box? I am not sure what this is since it sounds like it is a JIRA feature. Screen shots and examples of what this does will help us to understand better.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Suggest an answer