Questions about time-tracking

Christophe Leite July 21, 2013

Hello,

I would like to use time-tracking function in my workflow, in order to know how many time it took to go from one state to another... I've read Atlassian documentation about time tracking, but I did not understand :

- how did it work ? is it only possible using both start and stop progress functions (perhaps resolve more) in workflow ? (because I did not use those one in my workflow / but I would like to evaluate time spent between 2 different status)

- I've seen a 'legacy mode'... where can we update this field in order to enable/disable it in the JIRA'a administration ?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Christophe

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Hi,

If you want to measure time spent in each status, Jira Suite Utilities is a plugin that enables a tab showing that value directly:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

Note that this doesn't take into account weekdays, bussiness hours, and a single issue (as it could be reopened) may pass the same step one or more times, and you could be interested in the total time, or only the first loop (first response SLA type) ... in these cases, you may need a custom development

HTH

Christophe Leite July 22, 2013

Hello Alex,

Well, I saw that. But is there any possibility with that tool to realize some statistics on dahsboard? I don't tink so unfortunately... :-(

If I understood time tracking (like it is explained in the JIRA atlassian documentation) only can measure time elapsed from open status to resolve status (with start and stop progress transitions). Is this correct ?

Thanks,

Christophe

1 vote
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Hi Christophe,

Time tracking is designed to store time spent tipically by developers to fix a bug. Unless you expicitly configure your worflow to allow only worklogs in certain states, you'll get time spent solving the issue, NOT time from state A to state B.

Please note that a issue may involve 2-3 different people, and all of them can log some work. You issue can rest 10h from pending to closed, but in this time devs can log 30h (3 devs, 10h each) ...

So ... IMO if you want to measure these times for SLA reporting, timetracking is not the right tool

HTH

Christophe Leite July 21, 2013

First of all, thank you for your answer... do you know another tool in order to do that ? (because, we want to measure these times between 2 status, and make some statistics charts, ...)

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

Hi,

As I understand, time tracking is not the time elapsed between status, both thinks are remotely related, but are not the same. Time tracking is intended to manage and bill hours of development to a customer/account/product.

Take a look to the marketplace, searching for "time status" +jira, there are some plugins that may fit your needs like these:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.valiantys.jira.plugins.vertygo.jira-vertygosla-plugin

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/plugin.jep

But try to elaborate your requirements first, depending on what you want to measure, you may need some custom development ...

HTH

Suggest an answer