Questions about status field in the issue view screen and workflow transitions..

ozde sozer February 12, 2013

I created a new workflow, linked it to our 2 projects and moved issues in these project to the new workflow. The workflow is active now but in the issue view screen we can not see the status field and we can not change the status of the issues. The status values in the work flow have no transition IDs. Is that why I can not see the status field in the screen? I tried to add transitions in the workflow but as the workflow is active I can not edit it. I created a draft of the workflow and could add the transitions in this draft workflow but I can not copy them to the original workflow where I have the 2 projects. I also created a new project and linked it to this draft workflow. Before this change of workflows, the default workflow of this new project was jira default workflow and I could see the status field in the issue view screen but after the change of the workflow I can no longer see this field as there are transitions in the workflow. So, I don't understand how this status field will appear in the screens. When I choose "more actions - where is my field - status" I don't see any problem, It says it that "the status field should be present on the form that I'm viewing". So, how can I add the status field to the issues on the projects in the new workflow? And how can I add transitions to my active workflow? Do I need it?

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kathy Tempesta February 13, 2013

I highly recommend starting a new workflow by making a copy of the default JIRA workflow and making changes as needed. Starting from scratch means you need to add a lot of detail in a lot of places and it's to miss something crucial. Using a copy means the steps you will always have (Create, Close, etc...) at least will be right and all you have to troubleshoot are the ones you added or changed.

0 votes
ozde sozer February 13, 2013

I've already recovered all I've done, made a copy of jira's default workflow and made changes in this workflow. I have no problem now. Thanks for your help..

0 votes

If I back them out, I can not do it one by one. I just can delete the new workflow and move the issues to the the jira default workflow. Is that what I have to do? I have to solve this problem as soon as possible..

0 votes

Kathy Tempesta February 13, 2013

I'm currently on an older version fo JIRA that doesn't have the visual workflow designer so I can't verify this but just looking at it, I see a few potential problem areas.

All of your steps between In Progress and Closed look like they are a custom status. I don't see a Resolved step anywhere in there.

None of your transitions are named so I can't tell what they are but they don't seem to line up with the standard transitions I expect to see. Check out the sample workflow in the JIRA help:

What does your workflow look like in the regular editor? It should look something like this:

What do your transitions look like?

0 votes
Kathy Tempesta February 12, 2013

Without knowing about the new workflow, it's hard to guess what the problem might be. Did you create it entirely from scratch (something I really don't recommend) or copy an existing workflow and make changes? If so, what changes did you make? Can you back them out one by one to find the culprit?

Try this page too: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Workflows+Troubleshooting

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2013

Can you add a screenshot of your workflow?

0 votes
Kathy Tempesta February 12, 2013

Without knowing about the new workflow, it's hard to guess what the problem might be. Did you create it entirely from scratch (something I really don't recommend) or copy an existing workflow and make changes? If so, what changes did you make? Can you back them out one by one to find the culprit?

Try this page too: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Workflows+Troubleshooting

Suggest an answer