Questions about JIRA Tempo

Patrick van der Rijst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

Hi Tempo Team!

We want to demonstrate your plugin, as Atlassian Expert, to some of our customers but we've got some questions;

Is it possible to get timesheet approvals per project for a user?
A user can work on different projects and thus has different project leads that need to accept his hours.

In the report overview, can I easily see which hours are already approved, open or rejected?

As a project manager, can I get an easy overview of all the timesheets I need to approve? I don't want to use the activity stream.
Would be great as a gadget on my dashboard. A list of timesheets that are assigned to me to approve

As a project manager, can I easily get an overview of people that still need to log hours?
E.g., John Doe still needs to log 3h for this week, Anne still needs to log 5h for Monday and 2h for Tuesday

4 answers

1 vote
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2014

Not necessarily, it is just that the Team leader has access to the timesheet of the Team. So if you want the Project lead to have access only to the users working on this project, it is best to create a Team for it.

It is not possible to add Teams to a project but some Tempo users have created a user group named after the project. This makes it easier to add users in this group to the project and to a team (in 7.8. it is possible to add a group to a team).

Deleted user January 1, 2014

Thanks for the answer!

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2014

This is dependent on the version of Tempo Timesheets you are using. We did some improvements to the Team permissions in Tempo Timesheets 7.8. If you are using this version, you can add the project lead as Team lead or to the "Approve Timesheet" permission for a team. He can then view the timesheet for this team (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEAMS/Teams+Administration)

In older versions, adding a user to "Team Leaders" gives him the possibility to view and manage members timesheets for the teams they are assigned to (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO077/Manage+Teams)

Thanks for the answer.

Does this mean that we have to create a seaprate team for a project if we want to allow the project's leader to see work log entries for that project?

Just to clarify... we would like to avoid maintaining two separate "hierarchies" of projects and their team leaders/members. There already is a concept of projects in Jira, so Tempo's concept of teams creates a bit of confusion...

0 votes

If you want the Project lead to have access to the Team timesheets and approval process, you can add them as team leaders.

Hi Susanne,

does the above statement mean that project leads cant's see work logs of their team members?

If we add a project lead to team leaders, will she be able to see timesheets for all other projects (besides her project)?

Thanks in advance.

Igor

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2013

Hi Patrick,

It is not possible to get timesheet approvals per project. We are looking into some issues connected with this but no decision has been taken yet about the best solution.

When looking at the Team timesheet for the timeframe you have chosen for approval (weekly/ monthly) you will see approval status for the timesheet of each team member for this period. The status can be "not started, pending user, pending manager or approved". Timesheets that were rejected return to the pending user status. (See also https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO077/Timesheet+Approval+Process)

The timesheet approval is team based. Usually users ask their team leader for approval, not the project lead. If you want the Project lead to have access to the Team timesheets and approval process, you can add them as team leaders. The team leader can see the approval status for each user in the team timesheet. We are working on improvements in the Team overview and in the next version the team leader will have an overview of the Timesheets he has to approve.

In the Team timesheet a team leader can also see if there are hours missing for his team members. If a user has logged fewer hours than required, the logs for this day will be red and the sum of hours for the interval chosen will also be red. (See also https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO077/Team+Timesheet)

Hope this helps

Susanne (Tempo)

Suggest an answer