Question on how to best setup JIRA for RAID log

Trevor North June 20, 2013

Hi

New to Jira but can see the possibilities - just not clear the best way to approach this so would welcome some advice.

I work on large ERP implementation projects and would like to use JIRA to manage a centralised RAID (Risk/Assumptions/Issues/Decisions) log on a per project basis.

It looks like i have the option to setup a single project for each implementation with a single three letter acronym for the project i.e. TLA and have different issue types in that project for Risks, Issues, Assumptions and Decisions. Thats neat from a management perspective as the whole project is in a single project.

Alternativel,y, I could setup a separate project for each project/log which means i would use the key to identify the project and type of issue e.g. if TLA was the three letter acronym for the project, i could set up four projects i.e. TLARSK-nnn, TLAASS-nnn, TLAISS-nnn and TLADEC-nnn.

The advantage of the four project version is that i get a sequence number starting at one for each of the logs rather than a sequence that is shared between the different types of JIRA issue types.

To complicate a little more, I looked at the RMSIS addon which manages requirements (another thing i could handle in Jira) and i noted this creates the key prefixed by TLA-Rnnn and it allows linking of requirements with the different issue types in JIRA e.g. you can link a requirement to an issue or a risk.

This would be nice but it seems it only allows linking of issues in the same project. For my RAID log, i would also want to be able to link decisions to issues or Issues with an assumption that was made.

So the questions are - can i link issue types across projects. If not, then is there a way to have separate numbering sequences for different issue types in the same project ?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jon Abad June 22, 2013

We implemented RAID with the simplest/fastest way possible as we have a small (<30) team in implementation and they work multiple projects at once, so limiting overhead and maintaining consistency across projects is valuable to us.

Our setup is one RAID project, with the screens/fields based on the spreadsheets that we were using at the time.

The most important fields have been:

* RAID: A select list of Risk, Action, Issue, Decision

* Customer Name: Select list of customers in implementation

* Statement of Work: Cascading select of customer/sow so they can file away things for Phase 1, Part 1 or whatever nomenclature they like per customer.

These fields allow the PM to have easy access to the info that they care about and for the relevant still open items to be transitioned to maintenance after go live.

There are other fields for product section, license feature, impact, customer owner and so on but they are icing.

Trevor North June 30, 2013

Selected as best answer as with current setup, to reduce overhead, having one generic issue type is probably the best default option within Jira but with the downside that the numbering will be confusing as TLA001 might be a Risk, Issue, Decision or Assumption - however the real answer would be to allow having different numbering and a different prefix for each issue type within a project to have one real world project for each Jira project e.g. TLARSK001 is a risk for the TLA project, TLADEC001 is a decision for the TLA project t etc..

Like gaurab.misra likes this
Deleted user January 16, 2020

Do you have an instruction document on how this was set up I need to set one up for my team, also can people check in or check out the docs everytime it gets amended and can multiple people use it at the same

please email me on jaymini.patani-cic.uk@ibm.com thank you

2 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2013
  • There is no way to have separate numbering schemes for each issue types in one project
  • Having one project to have one issue type may be a huge administrative over head
  • There is no concept of linking issue types in JIRA. You can link actual issues across any projects/issues
0 votes
Deleted user February 6, 2020

A few questions on the RAID Log in JIRA, I have had a look at Risk Management in JIRA. Does this have options to add risks, issues, actions and decisions also can people update it with everyone else updating it The team want a shared document option but move away from excel Thanks

Craig Schwarze _ProjectBalm_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 7, 2020

Which Risk Management solution for JIRA did you look at, Jaymi?

Craig Schwarze

Co-Founder, ProjectBalm
https://www.projectbalm.com/

Suggest an answer