Question on custom field

Prasad July 2, 2012

Is it possible to display custom field based on user group. i see one plugin for field security but it is commercial.

Please also tell me if i can control custom field display in the workflow CONDITIONS.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2012

No, Jira does not do field level security. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/jra-1330

I suspect the plugin you've found is the one that adds it (I have not used it much myself, but at a glance, it does seem to work well - the obvious traps like working in excel, the issue-navigator and so on seemed to be caught)

As for Conditions, I don't think you've understood what they're for. They stop people from performing actions. They have nothing to do with fields or the display.

Prasad July 3, 2012

THanks for the reply.

Every time i create custom field do i have to create newfiled-view.vm & newfiled-edit.vm files?

I am thinking we need these files if i have to control this filed functinality, let me know if this is correct.

Thnaks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2012

Um, in what context? Your own plugin? One you've found?

Prasad July 3, 2012

I want to control(hide/show) one custom field in the edit issue screen based on user group. do i have to create newfiled-view.vm & newfiled-edit.vm files under WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/issue/field/ and make changes to newfiled-edit.vm code?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2012

Again, in what context?

Prasad July 3, 2012

I am Not writing code for plugin. One project in jira require custome field to be displayed based on a user group.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2012

Argh. Although that is a slight improvement, because we can now guess that you might be trying to stick random files into the core of Jira without really knowing what you're doing.

You have a set of options here

Write a plugin that provides a field that implements the security you want

Hack the existing core files to insert things like "if field is type X and called Y and I'm in project Z, then hide it from users matching a pattern"

Add new files (which is what you seem to be trying) and then hack the core code in Jira to tell it when to use them. I would admit to being out of my depth here - I think it's possible, I am pretty sure that if it is, you need to find and amend a whole swathe of files to point at your new templates, but I really don't know where to look next. I'd really not recommend trying to do it this way though, it's a lot of work - plugins are a LOT more simplg.

Suggest an answer