Question about external time tracking in JIRA

chrisjordan June 8, 2021

Hi all,

I put a question on the atlassian forum regarding tracking time spent each month for people outside of my organization, but unfortunately no one was able to help. Can anyone in here tell me if the following is possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"I would like to implement a solution where I can track time each month for each issue in a board. That being said, I need the time to be reported from an external part that is not inside my JIRA project. The ideal setup would be: At the end of each month an email goes out to the contact person in the issue (external person) --> they report the time (is there an app for this?) --> the hours for each month is collected in the issue.  "

1 answer

0 votes
Hyrum Steffensen _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2021

Hello Chris,

With Power Scripts you can schedule a script to run and send an email for each issue in a JQL search. Here is an example SIL script:

string jql = "project = EX";
string [] issues = selectIssues(jql);

for (string issue in issues) {
    JWorklog [] worklogs = getWorklogsForIssues(formatDate(currentDate(),             "yyyy-MM-dd"), currentDate(), "EX-1", currentUser());
    interval totalHours = 0;
    for (JWorklog worklog in worklogs) {
        totalHours += worklog.timeSpent;
    }
    sendEmail("first.last@example.com", "hours logged for issue: " + key, "total        hours worked: " + totalHours);
}

Here is documentation on SIL Scheduler, mail configuration and sendEmail() routine.

Here is an example using HTML with the sendEmail() routine.

Please let me know what you think!

Regards,

Hyrum

Because of Confluence Cloud security features, you may need to open the documentation in incognito mode or by logging out of Confluence.

Full disclosure, I am a product engineer with Anova Apps (Appfire), which makes Power Scripts.

Suggest an answer