Question about custom field which is type of "Select List"

Seema October 15, 2013

I use Jira web services and a Soap Client to update Jira tickets (JIRA 5.2). Is it possible to add new value in a "Select List" on one of my custom fields through the Jira webservices? The webservice already looks and reports back that the value does not exists but I would like to add the new value in that list instead of having it kick out as an error.

Any help or an example of how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2013

Jira's SOAP and REST interfaces do not expose the "add item to custom field option list" functionality.

If you do decide to start coding or digging into this, then bear in mind that only administrators can modify those lists as well, and you really don't want to be granting full admin rights to ordinary users.

1 vote
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2013
This is not possible out of the box. You need to develop a plugin which can so that.
Seema October 16, 2013

Thank you Mathias and Nic for your response. I guess now I know for sure that Jira's webservice does not provide that functionality.

Thank you!

0 votes
Seema October 22, 2013

Please see comments. Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2013

What comments? Are you trying to mark this question as answered? If so, look for a "mark as correct answer" next to Mathias or my answers (whichever one helped you more would be nice to do first)

Suggest an answer