Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Question about a User Group created via LDAP, which is now mapped to a project role

Hello - 

I am in an odd place in my Jira instance that I can't seem to figure out. I recently took control of an existing project and see what (looks like) a group located on the User Management page created via LDAP, which is associated with a Role within the project.

I'm trying to figure out how to achieve this, and create more User Groups via LDAP and have those groups associated with different Project Roles within this project. The idea is that we can import a list of users via LDAP, place them in the correct LDAP group, and then have their roles in the project defined and ready to go.

More specifically, within the project, when navigating to the View Project Roles page, I see a group that is assigned to a role (rather than an individual user). Does anyone have any insight on how I can add additional groups to assign to a project role?

1 answer

0 votes

@Drew G you have 2/3 choices :

- Groups on ldap and then mapped to User Roes

-Groups on jira - mapped to users on ldap

-groups and users on jira, no ldap

I honestly believe that to choose the right path for now

HTH

Nicolas

Thanks very much for your response. The ideal route for us to go is to create 3 different groups on LDAP and have them mapped to User Roles in the project.

I'm not sure how to begin to make this happen. Is there any content you can point me to in order to achieve this?

To follow up, I do see how I can add User Groups to User Roles in the project (this was simple).

In the near future we are going to import a very large number of users via LDAP to the Jira instance, and then add to the project. The project has 3 different User Roles. I've mapped those 3 User Roles to 3 different groups that I created.

Do you know of the most efficient / practical way to be able to add many users via LDAP and be able to bulk map them to the appropriate group? What's not feasible is to add users to the correct groups 1 by 1. Too many users for that...

Thanks for the links. Will continue to look into them.

Like I mentioned in my most recent post, I think I have a different kind of problem to solve. Just need to figure out the best way to import users via LDAP and be able to map them in bulk to the appropriate groups. 

Do you have any insight on this? Again, thank you for your help here.

Appreciate the additional documentation. Still digesting it, but it seems like it's covering the nuances of setting up LDAP on Jira.

Not seeing anything in regards to best practices of importing a bulk amount of users in Jira, and then efficiently mapping them to groups that are created in User Management.

The project I am working with has 3 project roles (Administrator, Advanced User, User). Each role is tied to different permissions in the Permission Scheme. I need to figure out how best to bulk add users to each of the groups when a large number of users has been imported onto the Jira instance.

Suggest an answer