Question about Asset Tracking Plugin/Options

Chris Wright January 27, 2013

Hello,

We would like to use JIRA for as much across our organization as possible.

If there is an Asset Tracking plugin you can recommend, we would be able to use Jira for this (and may bump up our license size as well).

Otherwise we will have to use a separate solution.

Any suggestions/information here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Wright

11 answers

2 votes
Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2013

Hi ,

We exhaustively use JIRA for asset tracking - Like Mobile phones, Sim cards, data cards, Lab equipements etc

We have defined a exhaustive wqorkflow where every asset will a single issue in JIRA - we have used more than 90% of JIRA inbuilt features (WF and Reports) - for some special requirmetns we have added groovy in very few post function

Gio May 28, 2013

Hi Avdhesh,

My asset management doesnt need to be that detailed. Just need to keep record of who has taken the stuff.

Can you explain more about how you have done it. Are you using an issue for an asset and keep log of who has taken it?

0 votes
Magdalena Zacharczuk January 22, 2019

Hi All,

Since the original question in this thread dates back all the way to 2013, I just thought an update would be good in case anyone looking for asset tracking add-ons for Jira stumbled across this discussion.

Currently, there is wide choice of ITAM Jira apps available on the Atlassian Marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=ITAM. Depending on what you’re looking for, you can find both free and lightweight apps, as well as paid and enterprise level solutions.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Assets Infinity November 29, 2017

If you aren't yet supervising crumbling of your benefits, you may miss opportunities to cut down your tax assessment rate. You may similarly be feeling the loss of the chance to definitely recognize your association's cash related position. Assets Infinity Best assets tracking software https://www.assetinfinity.com/ causes you track purchase cost, valuation, weakening and get or adversity on your advantages.

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2014

Hi guys, 

You might want to check this out: Insight for JIRA - Enterprise Asset Management

0 votes
myersk March 12, 2014

Yes, please let me know about the beta of the asset management add-on.

0 votes
Will Wilmot February 16, 2014

Me Also please! - Thanks

0 votes
Bindu Pillai January 29, 2014

beta me in please?

0 votes
Remie Bolte
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

@Andrew: we are currently working on a Asset Management add-on as part of a JIRA for IT support teams suite (including the already existing Nagios for JIRA add-on. We expect to have a working BETA by the end of this year. If there is anyone willing to participate in our early adopter program, please let me know and I will make sure you will receive a copy as soon as it becomes available. EAP users will also receive a discount on both the Asset Management as well as the Nagios for JIRA add-ons.

PabloS Fichera November 22, 2013

Hi Andrew, when you have the BETA version of the Asset Management for jira, please tell me. I am testing Jira to my company and the assets managemente is the only think that we need to decide to use Jira for IT Service

LarsM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2014

Remie, is it in beta now? I would like to participate in the Beta if possible :)

Thanks,

Lars

Adam Parmelee January 16, 2014

I too would be interested paticipating in a beta.

thanks.

-Adam

Bindu Pillai January 29, 2014

beta me in please

myersk March 12, 2014

Yes, please let me know about the beta of the asset management add-on.

Weston Smith April 3, 2014

@Remie BolteIs there a beta for the asset management you mentioned? If so we are definitely in need of this. Could you add me to this list?

0 votes
Andrew Morin June 13, 2013

Disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with Appfire and have not engaged them as a partner. Just throwing out some information if it will help. They were professional when we met several times and presented our needs to their technical team and sales represenatives.

0 votes
Andrew Morin June 13, 2013

I started researching this in 2010 as we have 70k plus assets at that time in Remdy. Here are some blos regarding Appfire from back in the day that was the only organization to provide anything even close to asset management.

http://hotoncollaboration.com/blog/2010/9/7/jira-way-beyond-an-issue-tracker.html

http://hotoncollaboration.com/blog/tag/jira

adding: Appfire turned JIRA, which is mainly marketed for tracking defects, into an enterprise-scale Asset Management System.

http://hotoncollaboration.com/blog/2011/6/2/buckle-up-for-appfires-sprint-to-summit.html

When we finnaly did meet the parties in that department just moved the goal posts way to far out by wanting not only asset managment but real time monitoring plugged in. I think that Appfire could have implemented the asset management no problem for tracking company hardware assets. It came up again today and that is how I stumbled over this thread. JIRA has gone through some changes and the Appfire website doesn't provide a lot up front. It looks like you need to contact them and discuss your situation.
So it still appears no one has written an off the shelf asset management plugin for JIRA...are the developers out there listening?

0 votes
sferrell615 May 14, 2013

while looking for a solution to our need for asset management i came across your question and another: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/113328/how-to-integrate-jira-with-sccm-or-asset-management

apparently, there is no plugin / add-on available. i'm sure asset management software isn't easy to develop but there is a definite opportunity here! also, there is incentive for JIRA because some companies will resist using it as a helpdesk (i.e. paying for it) until it exists.

Chris Wright May 29, 2013

Yeah, we've discovered much of the same as sferrell615 -- there don't seem to be any real plugins or solutions for it.

As far as developing code to fit the functionality into Jira, at that point it is easier to just use a pre-built solution. We were just hoping it could be in one place, so that we could get reports in one place.

Chris Wright June 13, 2013
Andrew, I will definitely look into Appfire, thanks for the tip. And based on lots of questions I have, the Atlassian reply seems to usually be "No, we don't want to do that." I guess hundreds of customers wanting features isn't important enough to add to their roadmap. Heh

Suggest an answer