Query too complex

DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2013

Hi,

When trying to perform the jql query "fixVersion in unreleasedVersions()" on one of our Jira instances we get a ClauseTooComplexSearchException. The error message simply says "the following query was too complex to generate a query from: fixVersion in unreleasedVersions()". Running the search "fixVersion in releasedVersions()" however, works without any problems.

Also the search, "fixVersion in unreleasedVersions()", runs without any problems on our other nearly identically configured instances.

Any ideas?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2013

No one seems to be able to answer this. I'll just mark this as answered to stop those annoying "Open question reminder" e-mails...

2 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2015

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the too late response, but I recently ran into the similar problem, and I found your question.

When I looked at Lucene API and after some googling I found this issue.

JQL has a limit of 1024 clauses, you can only get the expected results for <1024 rows. So, if you have more than 1024 fixVersions you may run into this problem.

Tuncay

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

Even this simple query will claim that it is too complex for Basic mode:
assignee = "firstname.lastname@domain.com

Maybe because we have more than 1024 users if you count the deactivated ones?

IMO this is a bug you ought to fix. 

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2013

Hi Daniel,

Hmm, the reason for this might be that the result of the query would be too huge to be displayed. Would it help to narrow down the query to specific projects?

DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2013

I just tried "project = some_project and fixVersion in unreleasedVersions()". Same error. And the project I tested that with only has 112 issues in it. So it must be something else.

Oh and by the way, Jira doesn't seem to autocomplete the "unreleasedVersions()" function.

Suggest an answer