Query to resolve Multiple heads found in rank chain

Amichaels July 15, 2013

Hello,

I'm getting the error

com.atlassian.greenhopper.service.rank.RankException: Multiple heads found in rank chain: issueIDs [[43872 r0 no prev n43873], [48411 r0 no prev n48420]] have no parent link. Please update the rank table and ensure that there is exactly one issue that has no child and exactly one that has no parent.

Searching the internet, this seems like a known issue but the resolution was never posted. Has anyone else fixed the issue and has the query?

Thank You.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Amichaels July 16, 2013

Hi Ricardo,

I resolved the issue by truncating the table. Jira rebuilt it and now the agile boards are working again.

Thank you for your help.

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013
Hi Scott. I don't know if you got my previous comment, so I will write it here again.. Please take a look at this documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Incorrect+database+type+specified If the problem persists, please paste the error again. Cheers, Ricardo.
0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Hi,

You can run this query at your db:

select * from "AO_60DB71_ISSUERANKING" where "NEXT_ID" not in (select "ISSUE_ID" from "AO_60DB71_ISSUERANKING");

That way you will be able to identify the issue id, if there is an issue causing this problem. After that we recommend that you open a new ticket in SAC, once you will probably have to send them your backup to run some scripts. Please attach the results of the query.

I believe your issue is related to this kb: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/The+tail+end+of+the+GreenHopper+Global+Rank+is+missing.

Cheers,

Ricardo Carracedo.

Amichaels July 16, 2013

Hi Ricardo,

I ran your query and it returned 0 results. It looks like the problem is that there are two issues in the table that have no siblings. Esentially they are orphaned. I'm afraid if they are removed, they will just cause the same problem for the issues that they are siblings of.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Hi Amichaels

In that case, it is probably related to this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Multiple+heads+found+in+rank+chain

And you will have to open a ticket in SAC, once they will need to restore a backup of your instance, identify the custom field of your rank chain and run some queries to identify where it is broken.

Cheers,

Ricardo Carracedo.

Suggest an answer