Query to determine Closed Sprints between 2 dates

Deleted user April 5, 2022

As best I can tell there's no DIRECT (i.e. via JQL) to query against things like "Sprint.EndDate" (which is accessible via the JQL Excel plugin).

So I'm posing this to see if anyone has any ideas as to how one would be able to resolve the following query:

All Issues RESOLVED, where the END DATE of the SPRINT for each issue belongs to, happens to fall between 2 dates.  

Perhaps this logic might help

Issue.Resolved is not EMPTY AND

Issue.Sprint.End_Date >= Date_A  AND

Issue.Sprint.End_Date <= Date_B 

If there is some way that this can be achieved without having to resort to REST API, that would be most ideal

1 answer

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2022

Hi @[deleted] 

Unfortunately, this does not appear to be possible.  See this open feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72007

Deleted user October 28, 2022

Yes I see that this is "gathering interest", but that's not an answer to close this quite just yet. 

Now if it were being implemented, then I might consider accepting this answer.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2022

The community site is really just a place for the community to help the community by answering questions or in this case, pointing in the direction of suggestions/bugs that Atlassian is tracking.  Since suggestions are the source of truth for Atlassian's backlog, it does not provide value to keep the question open. 

So, although I completely agree that your requirement is unfortunately left unfulfilled, I would argue that the question has been answered. As you mentioned in the initial question, you have a workaround with the JQL Excel plugin (as undesirable as that may be).

Here's the problem with your response @Mark Segall ....unfortunately some of us can't actually CREATE suggestions/bugs for Atlassian to Track. 

The closest I've gotten to this asking a product support person to open a request (or suggestion as you call it) for me. 

Sending someone away to look at something is insufficient as no actual action to either address or discard the suggestion has been made. 

I fully expect you to disagree with this, but please don't expect me to accept an answer for something that hasn't been actually resolved.

Perhaps its the mechanism here to try to mimic stackoverflow that's also at issue.

What people are looking for aren't just answers, but resolutions to problems that can be taken action upon.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2022

Hey guys, I thought I would chime in here with my two cents FWIW.

The Community is, at it's core, a user forum where users seek answers to their questions or share experiences and answers.

As Mark points out, answers aren't always what we want to hear. @[deleted] , as you elaborate, people are looking for resolutions to problems which is certainly true. However, as a user, often the best we can do is to provide an answer which may or may not be what the person hopes to hear. To be clear, an answer is simply a reply to a question. It is the Acceptance of an answer that comes into question here.

Regarding accepting or not accepting an answer in the Community, that is almost exclusively left up to the one posting the question. The intent is for the original poster to weigh in on the acceptability of an answer. This is a measure of subjectivity. For some, an answer is acceptable if they feel it brings the discussion to a close regardless of how they feel about the answer. Others only accept if they are happy with the answer. Others still simply never take the time to accept an answer because they have moved on to other things for example. Unfortunately there are a ton of unanswered questions in the Community. The most unfortunate impact of this is for future searchers. Accepted answers allow other users to more quickly get closure on their questions.

As Community Leaders one of our goals is to ensure that the Community stays viable. Encouraging acceptance of answers is one method of reaching that goal. In fact the community software itself does this by sending reminder emails to the poster to consider accepting an answer. With all of this said, as stated previously, acceptance is almost always left to the original poster.

I hope that this input will be useful to others as they happen upon this post. My goal is simply to help explain how the community works.

Editorial bit...

One final comment I would like to make. Regardless of whether an individual feels an answer is acceptable they should acknowledge their appreciation for someone taking the time to answer the question. This is especially true when the individual answering the question is volunteering their time. This is how communities succeed.

Hi @Jack Brickey certainly, I agree with the sentiment that this forum is community fed and sustained, so everyone should rightfully not only recognize that but appreciate that folks do take the time to respond and contribute.

Here's the issue with that. 

What all too often I've found with the community forum here is answers that are just responses. There's perhaps a difference in there that's all too often missed. Perhaps that's at issue, because people will (and often do) conflate "answer" with "resolution" or "solution". The come here seeking solutions or resolutions to things, not necessarily responses (which may be useful for furthering a discussion if there one to be had). 

So as long as everyone understands that what one is liable to find is responses and not solutions, expectations managed. 

By and large, however, that is not what folks come to the community, seeking. Just looking at any reasonable sampling of postings, makes that apparent. 

Thank you for your and @Mark Segall  contributions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events