Query that returns the stories where logged work > original estimate (including subtasks)

Eric Portelance January 25, 2018

Hi

I'm trying to build a query that returns all the stories in a sprint where the logged work of all subtasks exceed the original estimates of all subtasks.

I tried experimenting with "workratio" but this only seems to work at the subtask level. Is there a way to make this work at the parent level (including all the subtasks)?

I have access to ScripRunner if it's needed.

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

@Eric PortelanceIn perspective of agile methods there is something to note on. An estimate is a relative value and not compareable with time. If you are estimating in hours then you could do the compare, but then you are semi-agile.

Ok, if you still say "I know what I am doing" - read on:

I can recommend using the API. There you can add multiple values of subtasks and then compare it to another value (of the story). When the estimate was exceeded you can mark the parent story with a label or another custom field. So you can make them visible with another query within the UI.

Eric Portelance January 25, 2018

Thank you @Sebastian Kleinholz. Do you know if I need System admin rights to use the API? I only have project admin rights. Any other suggestions?

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Everything you can do with your browser can be done with the API, in perspective of access rights.

Suggest an answer