Query on story points?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2013

I'm hoping there'll be some way to do this. I'm not talking about tracking past sprint velocities. I know you can use the velocity chart for that.

I'm hoping to find a better way to quickly add up total points across stories with particular criteria.

For example, I may have a ton of stories in my backlog, assigned to various epics, yet only 80% of these stories are being deemed necessary for a particular release. They may be identified as such by a particular lablel or version #. Then I want to be able to easily query and see the total points for all such stories.

Right now, it seems epics are the only thing that adds up points for you, but again, this doesn't work in my case.

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2013

Hey there, Doug.

Hmm. I don't think that the devs have any plans on implementing such feature on the current JQL according to the following ticket that was raised in regards to this matter:

You will have to develop a plugin to achieve this or perform a calculation via Excel. Hope this clear things up on your side.

Warm regards,

Danial

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2013

Okie doke, thanks.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2013

Hey there, Doug.

You are most welcome. Glad to be able to help.

Warm regards,

Danial

0 votes
Doug Varn July 16, 2014

Well here I am still in need of this and finding my own question online. :)

Now I need it for another reason... I need to sum my whole backlog's points (including closed stories) to track long-term progress via release burndown chart I've created myself in Excel.

The formerly mentioned workarounds won't help me there.

0 votes
Doug Varn July 16, 2014

Well here I am still in need of this and finding my own question online. :)

Now I need it for another reason... I need to sum my whole backlog's points (including closed stories) to track long-term progress via release burndown chart I've created myself in Excel.

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2013

Btw, versions integrated into GH fixed this for me. I can see a rollup of total story points assigned to the version, and that's all I really needed. I am surprised that there is no JQL support for story points though.

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

This should be easy enough, just go ahead and apply your Epic filter (by clicking on the Epic), then create a quick filter for any other criteria you need (e.g. the version or the label) and apply that quick filter. The backlog will then only show those stories. Create a new sprint and drag the bottom of the sprint box down and it will show you the total at the bottom right (both the filtered and the unfiltered totals).

Cheers,
Shaun

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question