Query on Jira filters?

Vineet Kumar February 15, 2017

Hi, I have a confusion about the Jira filter designs, need some comments on the same

Let’s Say, There are 1000 projects in JIRA and there is a custom field ‘Team’ which has many values but one of them is 'Spartans' which is only used by Project A and Project B. And there are 2 queries.

JQL 1: Project in (Project A, Project B) AND Team = 'Spartans'

JQL 2: Team = ‘Spartans’

Logically, both the queries will return the same set of issues because for the field ‘Team’, Project A and Project B will only have the ‘Spartans’ as a value. But I would like to know if there will be a difference in terms of performance in both the queries. I am not sure how JIRA search for the issues, But in 2nd JQL will it look up all the projects? and in the same way when I have mentioned the project names will it reduce the scope of search from 1000 projects to 2 projects and reduce the response time And also helps to perform Jira better if we have too many board like these?

-Vineet

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2017

It is always best to reduce the scope as much as possible especially if the custom field Team is shared across other projects that may for some reason in the future start to use the "Spartans" value as this could then give you challenges with your filter results. 

Performance-wise a search restricted to a subset of projects should be quicker than one across all projects but this should always be validated against your particular configuration and version.

Daniel Glezer May 29, 2017

I need use two conditions and a return of the firts condition is correctly, but a second condition have a first name iquals and not exactly the fulll name of the current users.

watcher=currentUser() AND reporter != currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC

In this result grid I have correctly my watcher user (full name), but not correctly my reporter user (just first name equals).

Example for the current user "daniel.carmargo":

wather | Reporter

Daniel.camargo | Daniel.jesus

Daniel.carmargo|Daniel.augusto

Daniel.camargo|Daniel.camargo

Daniel.camargo|Daniel.batista

Suggest an answer