Query on JIRA mail handler to achive few tasks.

Ravish Raju June 19, 2014

Hi Team ,

I have few queries on JIRA mail handlers which can help me achieve the few tasks.I have a common mail box set in JIRA through incoming email and set a POP/IMAP mail server, i need to know if the mail handler in JIRA can help me achive the below tasks.

1)Is it possible to get a jira issue from common mailbox to be added as sub-task to a predefined "user story"? (then we just can look in that user story and select some tasks and move to other parent user story)

2)is it possible to add a label or component to all jira issues from common mailbox then we could run a quick filter and be able to see what are the issues from mailbox that need attention

3)How can we filter out if we do not want to move all common mailbox mail to jira ,just tasks with a specific initial word in the subject, for instance "JIRA:" or if we can only move common mail that is in a specific sub-folder and then we can filter in outlook instead.

We are using mail handler to confirm the mailbox with JIRA and JIRA is running on the version v6.1.3. Let me know if anymore information is required from my end.

BR

Ravish Raju

3 answers

0 votes
daniel k September 18, 2014

The enhanced email handler does add components/labels to jiras https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.beag.jira.mailer.

That is a far cheaper solution than the enterprise mail handler.

For filtering incoming mail by default you can filter based on the senders email address but that is all.

As for question one....you could use a solution like so.

Using the enhanced mail plugin add a component to incoming mail.

Then have a jelly script service running that executes a JQL search for jiras that are not sub-tasks with that component. when it finds an item it can then convert it to a sub-task. Not pretty but should work smile

0 votes
beagBIZ Support September 18, 2014

Hi, Ravish,

This Enhanced Mail Handler (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.beag.jira.mailer)  will add label/s and even component/s, and it's very easy to configure

You can check the documentations here.

Hope this can help.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2014

The standard mail handlers in Jira really aren't that clever - they take mails in and then create issues or comment on existing ones. That's about it.

You'll need to find or write a handler to meet all three of those needs. Frankly, I'd install JEMH as I've made it do point 2 and I'm 99.99% sure it can do 1 and 3 as well.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion Nic, if i would install JEHM , would the configuration be same as the standard mail handlers where i can configure for individual projects.

Thanks for the inputs Nic, i shall test with JEHM installed and update and ask for help if required.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2014

It's similar in principle, but more complex, because JEMH is a lot more powerful, and hence has a lot more options.

Suggest an answer