Query all stories/tasks under epics assigned to a specific user

Aaron October 14, 2017

I would like to make a query that shows all stories/tasks that fall under epics assigned to specific users. I am trying to develop a board using a filter to display the status of all epics assigned to me only. Various other users may be assigned to stories/tasks under these epics, but I would still like to be able to see them on my board so that I can track their statue.

3 answers

0 votes
Ilze Schoeman October 23, 2018

Hi, 

I am looking for a JQL query where it searches for all Tasks/Sub-tasks where in the Epic I am the 'Team Owner' (which is a custom field). 

I have tried to tweak the above but the closest I have gotten is 

issueFunction in issuesInEpics ('Team Owner = (firstname.lastname)')

It is showing as correct but then it is saying : Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Any help would be really appreciated!

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2017

Hi Aaron,

Are you using Cloud or Server?

If you are in Cloud you can try the following:

project = JRA and parentEpic = JRA-123

This will "return all the issues in the specified epic(s) AND their sub-tasks."  Take a look at Dave Meyer's response in JQL to show all issues AND subtasks in the Epic.

In Server you may want to look at ScriptRunner.

Cheers,

Branden

Aaron October 15, 2017

Thanks Branden,

The query example you provided would work only for a specified epic (or epics if I listed them all). I was looking for a query that would change organically as epics were assigned to me.

Thanks again for attempting to answer.

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2017

Try this:

issuetype in (Story, Task) and assignee = currentUser() and "Epic Link" is not EMPTY

Aaron October 15, 2017

Thanks Tayyab. This would only pull stories and tasks assigned to the current user. Instead, what I want to do is see all stories/tasks that fall under epics where the epic is assigned to me. That way I could build a kanban board using the query that would allow me to see how all stories/tasks are progressing, regardless of how many different epics I am tracking.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2017

Hi,
You can replace currentUser() with your own user name.

If you have ScriptRunner installed then you can use the following query, 

issueFunction in issuesInEpics('assignee = abcd') and issuetype in (story, task)

Replace assignee = 'abcd' with your own username. 

Anthony Fontana October 3, 2018

Hi Tayyab -

This is very helpful.

I can't seem to figure out to only show epics that are in progress within the post function.  I am getting all my epics with the issue types I want however I have a lot of closed projects that I would want to exclude.  Do you know how to add that to your script?

issueFunction in issuesInEpics('assignee = abcd') and issuetype in (story, task)
Puja Mehra December 13, 2021

Hi Anthony,  Add below condition to what Tayyab suggested, it should work -

and status != closed and status !=cancelled and status !=Completed

Suggest an answer