Query about JIRA Portfolio

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2016

Hi All,

I have been playing around with Portfolio v 2.0, I am facing few issues, are they bugs or is it the way JIRA portfolio has been designed? Along with Epic I am using "Feature issue Type"  at the same level of hierarchy underneath the Initiative issueType.

• I am unable to move existing stories which are orphans i.e. under the tag  "Issue without Parent Feature" , I am unable to move these stories under another epic/feature.
  • When I create a new story underneath the Feature issuetype in portfolio I was expecting that when I commit my changes then corresponding issueLink should also be created between the two issues in the JIRA application but that doesn't seem to happen thus how would someone looking at the issue detail view page figure out that the story is linked to a feature in portfolio?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2016

Hi Tarun, to move an existing story to another epic, switch to the stories hiearchy view (hierarchy switcher at the right above the table), find the story there, and use the "Epic" column to set a new parent. if that column is not visible, you might have to display it with the column selector. > we're working on improvements to make this easier, but this is how you can reach it right now in 2.0

regarding hierarchy / issue links: the parent/child relation is not mapping to the concept of issue links by design, but is stored separately (similar to the epic-story link on agile boards). it currently does not show up on the issue, but also for this we're prototyping solutions, potentially as a field similar to the "Epic Link" on the issue. 

Hope this helps! Best, Martin (PM for Portfolio @ Atlassian )

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2016

Thanks, I am now able to map orphan stories to new parents! Though from the UX point of view it would be really nice if drag and drop works for this feature.

Suggest an answer