Put a status "New" between create issue and open

Chris Ramakers October 12, 2011

I'm looking to alter the workflow for my project to introduce a new initial state for added issues. When someone adds an issue the default state now is "open" while in our workflow each issue should pass through an extra process to approve it before it is labelled as "open". Thus i was looking to add an extra status called "New" which is used as the default status.

I copied the default workflow, added a new status, but now i can't find a way to put that status between the 'Create issue' step and the "Open" step in the workflow designer. When i try to alter the transition from "Create issue" to "open" it gives me a warning i cannot alter it and when i just add a new status to the designer and try to add a new transition between the "create issue" and my newly added status it says i cannot add transitions to or from the initial action.

Can anyone explain to me how i can add an extra status called "New" that will be used as the default status when creating an issue?

Actually something like this workflow

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2011

I just made that change myself. It is bit confusing since you are moving an input transition and not an output transition. Read the section in the JIRA 4.4 Adminstration manual called Configuring the Initial Status. The directions worked for me. I only wish we could have more than entry point (ie customer support, developers.), so a bug can go into different initial states..

0 votes
Remon van G October 12, 2011

Most likely this state is so basic to jira or the WF designer that it intefears with the structure. Its easier to rename Open to New maybe, and add a status OPEN after this in after it.

> just tested this in a draft workflow in jira 4.4.1 using the normal workflow editor (not a designer), but im able to repoint Create issue to a NEW step without errors. So you might want to try it manually, without the designer.

A big note about the WF designer: it does not set permission conditions to new steps, so if you use Jira public or in a large group you need to check all additions manually for this.

0 votes
Chris Ramakers October 12, 2011

When trying to edit the transition i get this: https://img.skitch.com/20111013-nb7h1afrtaieh61am3321q14h6.jpg and when doubleclicking the arrow itself this warning pops up https://img.skitch.com/20111013-rihd7biqw1c26rp7fgij81miys.jpg

0 votes
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2011

You should be able to edit the existing Create Issue transition so that the destination step points to your New status. What does the warning message say?

Suggest an answer