Put a prefix to a custom field value - how to?

Hi Everyone,

we have a text type custom field which has different values for each issues. We need to put a prefix for this values for each issues. So the bulk change doesn't work here because of the different values.

Is there a solution with we could execute this?

Thanks,
Rumi

2 answers

0 vote

You'll need to script an update to each and every text field.

Personally, I wouldn't bother.  A text field is supposed to be for free-text, and putting prefices in text feels like a bodge.  If you really need to classify stuff like that, you should almost certainly be using a new field for the prefix.

Could you explain the reason you think a prefix is the right thing to do?  Or the problem you're trying to solve with it at least?

JIRA Command Line Interface (CLI) can help with this. You can use setFieldValue with the appendText parameter. Combine that with the runFromIssueList action with a JQL query to determine what issues need the field to be updated. Reference: How to use runFromIssueList

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Posted 9 hours ago in Jira

We want to know what Jira Service Desk apps you're using!

Hi Community! My name is Amir and I’m on the Jira Service Desk product marketing team at Atlassian. Our team would love to understand how you’re leveraging our ecosystem for Jira Service Desk. Wha...

33 views 0 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you