Push email message upon ticket status change.

Michał Herman November 28, 2017

I would like to implement the following feature in my Jira project:

Every time a ticket, that has "support" type, changes status one email address is notified (group email address of admin team, like "admins@company.com").

I tried to add custom notification rule but failed to make a predicate, so that rule would only work on the specyfic type of ticket.

I also tried to do custom queue that will have status changes from last 15 minutes and notifier, that will send an email if something is in the queue (and email notificator will refresh itself every 15 minutes). But in this solution, I don't know how to detect status change. I can make a queue of tickets on specific status, but I don't know how to detect the change of status.

Any help how to achieve following functionality appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2017

Hello Michael,

Your requirement is a bit tricky to implement in JIRA without plugins.

Because in JIRA, you have event called "issue updated" (not status but any updates on issue)

Now, you can create a custom event and fire that event in the post-function of every transition. That custom event will be listed in the "notification scheme" of the project. Then you have to add the email (admins@company.com) against the custom event in the notifcation scheme. Such that whenever the event is fired then an email is sent out to the specified email address.  But you need to make sure that the project permission "browse project" is set to *all users* otherwise due to permission issues you will not be able to send an email to non-jira users or individual email addresses if the issue is not ready only for everyone. 

i.e.  If your administrator has enabled anonymous access, you can also share issues by entering the email address of a non-JIRA user.

Some useful links

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/adding-a-custom-event-802592793.html

Whole process explained here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/configure-a-custom-event-notification-for-a-specific-jira-workflow-transition-or-status-720831525.html

Michał Herman November 28, 2017

Thank you for reply, I will try to follow this instructions.

Suggest an answer