Purge/ Remove old issues with attachments and comments from JIRA and DB

Bureera Sabir February 25, 2014

Dear All,

I am using 4.4.2 version of JIRA with 8 projects and 1121537 issues 89168 attachments and 961438 comments in total , and i am using oracle db to store my data. As the issue size has incresed so thats degrading the performance of JIRA. I have tried Bulk edit issue this reduces issue count but attachmnets are comments value is not affected and also it doesnt make any effect on the database record and still the performance is same. I dont have JIRA CLI plugin please suggest a way to purge tickets. and alternatively If it can be done via CLI then an efficint way to do that.

I am new to jira and need assistance. your co-operation in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bureera sabir.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2014

That doesn't sound right - when you delete an issue, the comments, attachments and history are removed. I'd be strongly rempted to check that and read the logs to see if it's struggling with any part of the deletion.

With Jira 4.4.2, older versions of the CLI should work fine if you don't want to use bulk edit. It won't do anything differently though - when you use it to delete issues, all it does is call the same routines bulk edit uses.

On a more generalised note, size of data is only one thing that affects performance, and you might actually have more luck doing some tuning instead. There are far larger Jira installations out there running fine. I'd start with a look at upgrading - 5.1 is significantly better with large data sets than 4.4 for a start.

For more detail, I'd refer you to
http://www.adaptavist.com/w/writing-dark-art-atlassian-performance-tuning/ and https://summit.atlassian.com/archives/2013/inside-the-massive-team/the-not-so-dark-art-if-atlassian-performance-tuning As a point of openness, I should say that not only do I work for Adaptavist at the moment, I've sat through that talk 5 times and seen the principles applied many times. It works. I'd be pointing you at it even if I didn't work with Dan.

Bureera Sabir March 13, 2014

Dear Nic,

I purged 1 lac issues using bulk edit operation. the performnace is better and now i am not facing down time. but still the log shows an exception "2014-03-14 10:48:06,408 http-8080-2 ERROR rizwan.asghar 648x13887x2 uqhz5f 202.92.26.18 /secure/CreateIssueDetails.jspa [groovy.canned.utils.ConditionUtils] org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed:
Script207.groovy: 1: expecting '(', found '<newline>' @ line 1, column 4" on every ticket creation. which makes me worried because system is operational and i dont want any unsual situation like i have faced before.

and one more issue reported after purging is that few old issues again appear on dash boards and users are unable to close that ticket which being a. and with some issues that user is unable to close the ticket that option dissapears i have checked the work flow. and tried to run integrity checker which takes almost 2,3 hours but didnt give me any results to fix if there is any thing wrong in work flow and all.

Best regards,

Bureera sabir.

Bureera Sabir March 16, 2014

Waiting for your response

Dear Nic,

I have tried re-indexing but it didnot refelect a major change in performance. and i havent write a custom script for my JIRA. built in scripts and default workflows are used please suggest a way to solve this issue and which script i have to correct in order to avoid down time and this exception in logs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2014

You've got a groovy script that doesn't work. Nothing to do with the delete, you need to correct the script.

Secondly for your old issues - try re-indexing.

your co-opertaion in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2014

Ok, let's break this down a bit to be clear about what we're talking about

You have a set of errors which may or may not be related to performance, deletions, scripting and so-on. They might be intertwined, they might not.

First, performance. Frankly, forget that for now, you can't go digging through performance issues when you've got stacks of other errors because you simply can't tell if your performance issues are caused by those errors.

Secondly, you've got issues which appear to be unavailable and appearing/disappearing. That is why I suggested re-indexing (nothing to do with performance). Can you check whether re-indexing has helped with these issues?

Third, you have a script that doesn't work. Doesn't matter if you don't think you've got one, the log is absolutely telling you that you do. You need to fix that script. Either you're using the wrong version of the script runner, you've written a duff script, or there's a bug in the provided script. You need to check and fix that.

Dear nic,

Thank you for your support.

To be specific keeping performance aside the main issue i am facing and thats troubling is that my JIRA goes unavailable to the users every 2nd day and we have to restart the server to make it available again and when i check the logs it shows that groovy exception that i have sent you before. We havenot written any script that should throw the exception.

I am using jira 4.4.2 version and Groovy (Groovy Scripting Engine, version: 2.0, registered extensions: [groovy]) is being used if its version error please suggest should i upgrade the scripting engine or have to buy new. I am new to jira so please temme that in which scrpit you feel like there is error or bugs and how it can be fixed.

Best Regards,

Bureera Sabir

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2014

Ok, but you still need to debug that script. I don't know about the version compatibility - in 4.4.2 you've got the UPM to check the versions, so start with that. If it says you're on the latest compatible version, then have a look in the script-runner docs for that error. I'd strongly recommend reading the script it is running as well, to see if you can see the problem.

Suggest an answer