Purge DB for reinstalling jira

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

After a failed upgrade of our test installation I need to reinstall the test instance with 4.4 standalone. The database is sqlserver and obviously isn't empty.

When running the installer, I get the error "The database specified is not empty. Please specify an empty database for your JIRA installation.", but unfortunately I haven't got the permission to install new databases.

How can I purge the old database, so that the installer is able to install cleanly? Is it enough to remove all tables? Views? Functions? What else?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2012

There won't be anything more complex than tables and their indices. Jira doesn't do views, functions, triggers etc, it uses the database more as a slightly structured datastore than a database...

You should find that simply dropping all the tables will do the job fine.

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

Thank you.

Fortunately I have SSMS and can batch delete these tables like described here:

http://serverfault.com/questions/7251/microsoft-sql-server-management-studio-2008-deleting-multiple-user-tables

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2012

From https://developer.atlassian.com/display/AO/Installing+Active+Objects

Atlassian does not recommend that you install or upgrade Active Objects in a production environment, unless instructed by the Atlassian support team.

So, what else should I do?

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2012

At first it looked good, but after 90% it failed. I'm using the ActiveObjects plugin 0.15 that was bundled with the 4.4 standalone. UPM doesn't find an updated AO for 4.4.

I need to install 4.4 because I want to test upgrading from 4.4.

2012-11-20 11:14:43,574 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO admin 636x211x2 11b4vha 10.109.54.241,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Importing data is 90% complete...
2012-11-20 11:15:10,716 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO admin 636x211x2 11b4vha 10.109.54.241,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Finished storing Generic Values.
2012-11-20 11:15:11,219 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 ERROR admin 636x211x2 11b4vha 10.109.54.241,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Error importing data: com.atlassian.dbexporter.ImportExportException: java.sql.SQLException: Table 'AO_60DB71_RANK_ISSUE_LINK' does not have the identity property. Cannot perform SET operation.
com.atlassian.dbexporter.ImportExportException: java.sql.SQLException: Table 'AO_60DB71_RANK_ISSUE_LINK' does not have the identity property. Cannot perform SET operation.
	at com.atlassian.dbexporter.importer.SqlServerAroundTableImporter.setIdentityInsert(SqlServerAroundTableImporter.java:45)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2012

I'd raise this one with Atlassian support. I've stayed away from Active Objects because of that warning

Suggest an answer