• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Pull in a custom field value from parent issue in a post-function script on issues creation and set it as part of the summary of the sub-task that is being created in JIRA cloud with ScriptRunner

Pull in a custom field value from parent issue in a post-function script on issues creation and set it as part of the summary of the sub-task that is being created in JIRA cloud with ScriptRunner

Marlene Vitale March 22, 2017

What I have determined is a way to pull the result of a custom field from a already created ticket.

def issueKey = 'TM-XXX'

def result = get('/rest/api/2/issue/' + issueKey)
        .header('Content-Type''application/json')
        .asObject(Map)
if (result.status == 200){
    return result.body.fields.customfield_10511
else {
    return "Failed to find issue: Status: ${result.status} ${result.body}"
}

Now what I am trying to achieve is create a sub-task using a workflow post function and pull in this custom field from the parent issue and set it as part of the summary of the sub-task that is being created.

For example:

I create an issue with a custom field of server name with a value of XXXDC1.

I want to create the subtask.fields.summary that would be XXXDC1 | "and some other text."

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jon Bevan [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2017

Hi Marlene,

If you add a "Create Subtask" post function with the following additional code, you can achieve what you've described:

def issueKey = issue.key
def result = get('/rest/api/2/issue/' + issueKey)
        .header('Content-Type', 'application/json')
        .queryString('fields', 'customfield_10511')
        .asObject(Map)
if (result.status == 200){
    //return result.body.fields.customfield_10511
    subtask.fields.summary = "${result.body.fields.customfield_10511} | ${subtask.fields.summary}"
} else {
    logger.error("Failed to find issue: ${issueKey}. Status: ${result.status} ${result.body}")
}

I've attached an image here for clarity too:

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 09.40.45.png

I hope that helps,
Jon

Marlene Vitale March 23, 2017

This was very clear and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Suggest an answer