Publish Jira over internet , VIA DMZ (IIS)

Shaikh Moiz April 13, 2014

Hello folks,

we are planning to host jira for external customers, We have jira version 6.1.7 installed on windows server 2008,And DMZ on another server.

what we want is to allow external users to access jira via a address e.g myjira.com\jira

please advice / suggest steps to achive this, as we are running out of time any help is appreciated.

BR,

Moiz.

4 answers

1 vote
Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014
Adam Barylak put together a pretty good how to for IIS: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/118050/confluence-via-iis-is-slow
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2014

If you were using Apache, it's a straightforward "proxy pass" on the DMZ Apache server. I believe you can mimic this (although it's not pretty) using "Application Request Routing" in IIS.

However, whatever method you use to do this, you MUST remember that Jira only has one base URL - it won't run properly if you use another url to reach it.

Jason J August 5, 2014

Nic,

Would you mind explaining the 'proxy pass' on the DMZ Apache Server? We have a internal deployment of both JIRA and Confluence, which I am trying to make accessible via the web. Would I use this method to expose both of the application servers to the web?

Note: In our environment the web server must be placed in the DMZ to offer external access.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2014

All I know about doing it on IIS is that "Application request routing" does much the same as "proxy pass". I have done it, but it was many years ago, and I was able to muddle through the docs with some help from an IIS person. You have IIS running on your DMZ server, and when a user lads on certain urls, it goes and asks another server for the actual data.

1 vote
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014

One of options:

You should obtain myjira.comdomain.

If you want to host it as HTTPS URL, you should also obtain SSL certificate.

You should give real IP to Jira server.

Secure Jira server.

Point A record in DNS from myjira.comto JIRA.

Start Jira on 443(HTTPS) or 80(HTTP) port.

0 votes
Shaikh Moiz April 17, 2014

Thanks all of you,

It was a great help from you all

Best Regards,

Moiz Shaikh.

Suggest an answer