Public read only issues

geabenitez January 5, 2018

Hello, is it possible to configure Jira server to allow all public read only the issues?

I am developing a web app, and all the issues are now being managed on JIRA, everytime I release a new version of the software I make public the changes, what I want to do now is copy the release notes from the release version on JIRA (the release notes includes links for the issues) and I want everyone be able to click on the link and read all the contents of the issue without having to login. 

Thank you. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Yes. You can edit the permission scheme to allow the "Browse Project" permission to be set to "Anyone". This will open your issues so that even those not logged into JIRA can view them. 

Hope this helps!

Kian

Thank you for the answer, 

But i am unable to find the Anyone on the options, I only see "Any logged user" under "Application access".

Is there any other place where I can find that one? or any additional step I need to perform.

My Jira Software Version is 7.6.1

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

I see the issue. You want to add a new group to your scheme. Instead of "application" switch to group "Anyone". 

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 12.08.30 AM.pngIf this helps, please accept the answer. 

Thank you, 

Sorry to keep asking, but how by creating a group named "Anyone" can I allow to the public to see my issues (read only)?

I am asking because I jsut created it and now it is asking me to add members, and I want everyone to be able to read without being a member. 

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2018

You shouldn't create a new group called "Anyone". When you go to any project you will be able to access the project settings. If you scroll down the project settings summary page you will see an option for "Permissions.

Click into the permission scheme that is currently being used. There is a button on the upper right hand corner called "Actions".

Click that and then find "Edit Permissions". Scroll to the permission "Browse Projects" and then hit "Edit". There will be the option to check "Group". It should default to "Anyone".

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 12.19.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-06 at 12.19.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-06 at 12.16.51 AM.png

You're right, I missed it before. thank you very much. 

Calvin Lin February 12, 2018

Hi all, this is a great answer but where do we find the URL to share these issues or the board with the issues to public viewers that don't log in.

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2018

To show a ticket, it's just the URL of the ticket itself.

Check this one out. 

https://communityanwers.atlassian.net/browse/CA-1

Public users won't be able to see boards. 

https://communityanwers.atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?projectKey=CA&rapidView=1

0 votes
Amos Folarin September 14, 2018

I've a follow up question here -- once I enable "Browse Projects" on Group=Anyone. I get this warning. If anyone inadvertently clicks on Fix Permissions it reverses the Browse grant I made.. It's again another weirdly inconsistent behaviour with JIRA around permission config.

Screenshot from 2018-09-14 10-36-38.png

Andrea Guarino March 15, 2019

Right, I get the same. Any hint?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2019

So Service desk you don't want to enable this permission for. Jira Service desk is not designed to be opened to everyone to see each others issues. 

For Jira Service Desk, if you want customers to be able to sign themselves up, you need to set it up according to this link.

Amos Folarin March 18, 2019

Hmmm... if something is not designed to work that way but has config enabling said option would point to an issue around clear design.

I would however disagree, it can be very helpful as a knowledge base for anonymous contributors to be able to browse prior issues without needing to sign up (don't think Stack Overflow would work quite so well if users needed to sign up to view). 

Suggest an answer