Providing access to browse all the users

poornima guddettu March 11, 2014

Hi,

I have imported two projects into jira. Developers wanted to browse the issues (filter through) depending on users ( Created by, Reported by, Assigned to). However it was possible when they are added into jira developer group which had the Browse users Global Permission. But they are even able to access the other project even when they are not members of it. So I tried to find a way and created another group with the name PRDevelopers and added the group in Global Permission.However,they were not able to access after I did this. I would like to customize my browse access for each and every project . Can anyone please help me with this.

Thank you,

Poornima.G

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Filipe March 11, 2014

Hi Poornima,

I don't know if I completly understood your problem.

It looks that you are mixing diferent points on your question, " Browser User " and "Browse Project Issues".

I will try to help giving you some info on things thare you refer in your question:

1) You have permissions by project, where you can define who can browse that project issues.Check:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

2) Regarding Browse of user permission in Global Permissions:

From documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

Browse Users

Permission to view a list of all JIRA user names and group names. Used for selecting users/groups in popup screens. Enables auto-completion of user names in most 'User Picker' menus and popups.

Note that the Assign User permissions also allows a limited version of this on a per-project basis.

Or taken directly from JIRA application:

Ability to select a user or group from a popup window. Users with this permission will be able to see names of all users and groups in the system.

Regards,

Hi Filipe,

Ok.So I have a user abc who is both user and developer of my project PR.

when trying to sort issues according to who assigned it or who is working on it ,abc cannot get any usernames apart from current user and unassigned. I want abc to get all suggested users .

I have tried assigning abc to jira-developers group which has the access to browse projects and now my abc can find the suggestions. However it is not advisible since now abc can browse other projects too.

Then I tried assigning abc the permissions per project ( Specifically -"Assign Issues") and still my abc is unable to get the suggestions.

Hope my requirement is clear now.

Please let me know how to do it.

Thanks ,

Poornima.

Filipe March 11, 2014

Hi,

"when trying to sort issues according to who assigned it or who is working on it ,abc cannot get any usernames apart from current user and unassigned. I want abc to get all suggested users ."

This is becaused he didn't have permissions to "Browse User" so adding it to a group that add that kind of permissions , "jira-developers" solve that problem.

"I have tried assigning abc to jira-developers group which has the access to browse projects and now my abc can find the suggestions. However it is not advisible since now abc can browse other projects too."

" However it is not advisible since now abc can browse other projects too"

- Can browse issues from that project or can browse user that only work on that project?

1)The browse issues from that project permission is related not with the Browse User permission but with the permissions that the group jira-developers have on the projects:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

Browse Projects

Permission to browse projects, use the Issue Navigator and view individual issues (except issues that have been restricted via Issue Security). Many other permissions are dependent on this permission, e.g. the 'Work On Issues' permission is only effective for users who also have the 'Browse Projects' permission.

This permission is the one that handles the browse of issues in the project.

The group jira-developer directly or indirectly (project roles) as this permissions set and that's the reason that those users can now browse issues from that project.

So,

a)if you want your user to have "Browse User" permissions you have to add your users to a group that has those kind of permissions on Global Permissions.

b)If you don't want a group of user access a given project you need to make sure that that users in any way have the "Browse Project" permission.

Regards,

Thanks Filipe.

I have assigned the developers of the project with the permission . Also I have created a different schema for the project so that if the Project lead wants to make any changes,they can do so without affecting all the projects.

Filipe March 11, 2014

Hi poornima,

If you can please accept my response to your question please.

Thx,

Suggest an answer