Provide non-administrators ability to add users to groups (JIRA)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2015

Hi All

We have a huge JIRA database with hundreds of projects and hundreds of groups. Every time a new member joins the organisation , JIRA admins have to add or remove them from certain groups and it is adding a lot of admin overhead. 

How can we delegate this responsibility to end-users or say Project admins?

I know there is no out of box solution for this. But i want to know if anyone knows any plugin or any workaround for the core problem i am facing.

We use groups we manage issue level security in a project.

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2015

In my opinion the best work around is to convert to using project roles. That gives the project admins the rights to add/delete users from the roles. You should be able to manage security with the roles.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2015

This scenario is *exactly* what roles were implemented for. Stop using groups for most of the access and migrate to roles so you can delegate the whole lot to a project level.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2015

The project roles defined is visible globally (by all projects). Which means if i have 40 customers, and i define a role with all 40 customers, then all those 40 customers will know each other. A situation i want to avoid for security reasons. With groups i was able to achieve this, how do i avoid this issue with project roles,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2015

I'm not sure what you think you've avoided by using groups. Either you can see the users or you cannot. Doesn't matter what group or role you are in.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2015

Aich, Role names are defined globally, but membership in the role is by project. A tester in project A doesn't have any relationship to the tester role in project B unless they are put in that role in project B.

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2017

Hi,

If you need to empower users and delegate group management to a set of selected users, I've recently published a plugin which might help! It's a brand new plugin so I'm really interested in feedback to give orientations to my roadmap!

You can try it out here, I'll be more than happy to improve it to suit more needs: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.caritteprod.group-ambassadors/server/overview

Cheers

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2015

You can use JIRA Command Line Interface (CLI) actions for this kind of administration. If you have Confluence, How to set up a self service CLI page for Administrators together with How to allow users to import JIRA issues from Excel or CSV shows techniques for how you can construct a self-service page that can do specific restricted actions you authorize. 

Suggest an answer