Provide non-administrators ability to add users to groups (JIRA)

Hi All

We have a huge JIRA database with hundreds of projects and hundreds of groups. Every time a new member joins the organisation , JIRA admins have to add or remove them from certain groups and it is adding a lot of admin overhead. 

How can we delegate this responsibility to end-users or say Project admins?

I know there is no out of box solution for this. But i want to know if anyone knows any plugin or any workaround for the core problem i am facing.

We use groups we manage issue level security in a project.

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Joe Pitt Community Champion May 21, 2015

In my opinion the best work around is to convert to using project roles. That gives the project admins the rights to add/delete users from the roles. You should be able to manage security with the roles.

This scenario is *exactly* what roles were implemented for. Stop using groups for most of the access and migrate to roles so you can delegate the whole lot to a project level.

The project roles defined is visible globally (by all projects). Which means if i have 40 customers, and i define a role with all 40 customers, then all those 40 customers will know each other. A situation i want to avoid for security reasons. With groups i was able to achieve this, how do i avoid this issue with project roles,

I'm not sure what you think you've avoided by using groups. Either you can see the users or you cannot. Doesn't matter what group or role you are in.

Joe Pitt Community Champion May 22, 2015

Aich, Role names are defined globally, but membership in the role is by project. A tester in project A doesn't have any relationship to the tester role in project B unless they are put in that role in project B.

You can use JIRA Command Line Interface (CLI) actions for this kind of administration. If you have Confluence, How to set up a self service CLI page for Administrators together with How to allow users to import JIRA issues from Excel or CSV shows techniques for how you can construct a self-service page that can do specific restricted actions you authorize. 

Micky Caritte Community Champion Nov 30, 2017

Hi,

If you need to empower users and delegate group management to a set of selected users, I've recently published a plugin which might help! It's a brand new plugin so I'm really interested in feedback to give orientations to my roadmap!

You can try it out here, I'll be more than happy to improve it to suit more needs: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.caritteprod.group-ambassadors/server/overview

Cheers

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

144 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you