Pros and cons for JIRA 7.3 on Apache tomcat

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2017

Hi Guys,

We are planning to install JIRA 7.3 , Is there any advantages using apache tomcat over JIRA 7.3.

Thanks

Ashish.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

I do not understand the question.

Tomcat is an application server.  JIRA is an issue tracker.  They do different things.  (And JIRA runs on Tomcat)

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2017

Sorry for the confusion Nic,  Is it necessary to run JIRA 7.3 on Tomcat , my questions is what are pros and cons JIRA 7.3 running on Tomcat.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2017

I'm still not sure what you're looking for.   Let me try a different tack.I don't understand the original question because it was not comparing systems that do even similar things.  It was like asking to compare a word processor with an operating system.  Different things.The new question is slightly better, but has no context.  The best I can do is "Pro: it works.  Pro: you get to use JIRA".I guess what I need to know is "why are you asking?"  What is the reason behind your question?

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2017

sorry for the lack of my knowledge, we are in JIRA 5 which is configured with Tomcat. Now we are going to have a separate instance to install JIRA 7.3, do we still need to configure JIRA 7.3 with tomcat where I'm reading on Atlassian documents JIRA 7.3 is bundled with Tomcat(JIRA 7 has already configured with Tomcat in these versions )  and Atlassian says it is not going to support this. Here I have confusions and worries.

Thank you for your replies.Atlassian.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2017

Ah, I see, you've misread the documentation.

Atlassian will not support the use of anything other than the bundled Tomcat.  If you run Jira on your own Tomcat, you are unsupported.

Use the installer and follow the installation guide.

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2017

Thank you Nic, is this the new feature in JIRA 7. Tomcat bundled with JIRA installer?.

Suggest an answer