Propogate issues from service desk to development projects

Jikky_John July 14, 2014

Hi , I have created a client project in service desk , I identified it as a development bug and i need to propogate it to development project. How to i do it?

6 answers

2 votes
Robert Reed August 6, 2015

If you got here from Google, please go and vote up: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-792

1 vote
Pedro Perejón Fernández January 26, 2015

It's really strange that Atlassian people don't give us the chance to assign SD issues directly to developers. To have to copy the issue, move to another project and link it back, is something I never expected to do with Jira. 

Another bad point is the fact that the developer will have to tell the SD Agent to close or update the client request. This is, at least, strange.

I seriously think you (Atlassian) should think about this behavior as you could lose some ServiceDesk clients, for something so simple.

Regards,
Pedro. 

1 vote
Dieter Blomme September 13, 2014

This is also a must-have for me. E.g. through the zendesk integration, this scenario is perfectly possible. It's strange this would not be possible within JIRA + SD itself.

0 votes
Sebastian Kouba October 24, 2018

Google sent me here first so I'll paste the solution as per Atlassian release notes:

Create linked issues

You can now link issues in a service desk project to an issue in a JIRA project or vice versa. Use Create linked issue to quickly create and link a new issue from an existing issue across service desk and JIRA projects. The linked issues are updated and people involved are notified when the issue or problem is resolved. 

Let’s look at a scenario where several service desk customers have reported a bug in a software application. You need the software team to fix this but they are using a JIRA Software project to track issues. No problem!

From your service desk issue, create a new linked issue in the JIRA Software project. You can also reference other service desk issues related to the software bug. Last but not least, you can also create a rule with the Update incident when linked problem transitions blueprint to update all linked issues and notify people involved when the JIRA issue is resolved.   

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2014

I would favour tracking the development task separately from the service desk issue. You may not want the user to have visibility on all the fields, not to mention "definition of done" will differ substantially.

You could use something like https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-in%20Scripts#Built-InScripts-Clonesanissueandlinksto clone the issue to a dev project on a particular transition of the support issue, eg "Create dev bug" or whatever.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2014

Service Desk plugin can mask the details on issue to what you want the customer to see. And can have different workflow statuses based on customer's definition of "Done".

I think he is on onDemand where the scripts are not allowed.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2014

OK. I still don't think developers should be committing code directly against a support ticket. For me it should be a different ticket type with a workflow suitable for software development, eg code review, in QA, deployed/released etc.

Jikky_John July 15, 2014

Hi All,

Thanks for the inputs. My requirement is that only service desk be visible to the client where he logs a issue, the support member does a first level analysis and if it is a development bug only then it should be propogated to the development projects, where the development cycle will be followed. This is important as there can be many operational queries which need not be raised in development projects. Also I can see when a issue is raised in service desk project ,it is raised as IT help , I want to change it to operational how do I do it ? Please help.

kirti prasad July 16, 2014

Hi .. Any one please help me out. How to get help from the product team itself?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2014

You can use the Move operation. But in my opinion, the bug should be captured in to the same project via Service Desk. "In Development" or "Ready for Development" should be a workflow state within the project.

Jikky_John July 14, 2014

Move option deletes the issue from the client project and moves it to development project, which should not be the case, I should be able to clone it to the development project, so that my report reflects the actual issues raised and how many of them are bug. Is there any option where it asks me in which development version I need to clone this issue to fix ?

Jikky_John July 14, 2014

Move option deletes the issue from the client project and moves it to development project, which should not be the case, I should be able to clone it to the development project, so that my report reflects the actual issues raised and how many of them are bug. Is there any option where it asks me in which development version I need to clone this issue to fix ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2014

Yes, it will delete the issue from the original project and that is exactly why I prefer to capture them in the correct place from the begining. You can clone the issue and move that clone to the other porject but then the issues cannot be kept in sync without manual intervention.

For example, if the developer has a question to the customer, he will have to send it to the support engineer via the development issue which in turn has to be sent to the customer via support issue. Responses will have to be sent back in the reverse direction.

I hope someone can suggest a better solution.

Suggest an answer