Property jira.issue.editable=false blocks creating subtasks

Onur Kaçmaz August 10, 2014

Hello,

For a customer, we need to block editing the issues in certain stasuses. In order to do that, we add jira.issue.editable = false to step properties.

However, this solution also blocks creating subtasks. When we remove the property, the user can create subtasks because he/she has the required permission. However with the property, they can't even see "Create Subtask" in the menu.

Is this a known problem? If it is not a problem, how can I prevent users from editing on some statuses while allowing them to create subtasks?

Thank you.

Onur Kaçmaz

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2014

It's not so much a "known problem" as "designed that way". The flag for "can not edit" is intended for issues that are supposed to be frozen or closed, and if new data is to go on them, they really should be moved to another status. New data, by definition, includes sub-tasks.

I suspect your only option here is to re-open the issues. I'd consider having a workflow transition with an automatic "create subtask" type post-function on it as well (depends on your exact process as to the best approach)

Onur Kaçmaz August 10, 2014

Hi Nic,

We thought editing and creating would be considered as different permissions, even with properties. However your answer makes sense.

We will solve this problem with something else.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Have a nice day!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2014

I think it's more of a logical thing than a technical one. Usually when you close off an issue, you don't want people updating it - you want them to explicitly say "ah, there's more to do here" and re-open it. To my mind, adding subtasks are that sort of activity!

Suggest an answer