Proper query string

MichaelMoe November 10, 2014

I'm using JIRA REST to retrieve tickets assigned to particular developer. This is what I've come up with :

http://<JIRA host>/rest/api/2/search?jql=updated>-1h AND assignee in ('david123','daniel123') AND status in ('open','reopened','in progress')

It should return zero result, as there is no such username in the database. (I tested it by copying and pasting the same query string in browser address bar and got zero result. ). However, it returns bunch of tickets assigned to other developers. If I use URL encoding for spaces and quotes such as :

http://<JIRA HOST>/rest/api/2/search?jql=updated%3E-1h%20AND%20assignee%20in%20(%22david123%22%2C%22daniel123%22)%20AND%20status%20in%20%28%22open%22%2C%22reopened%22%2C%22in progress%22)

It gives this error : "Error in the JQL Query: The quoted string 'in' has not been completed. (line 1, character 86)" The same query string works just fine in browsers.

I appreciate much if anyone could point out the mistake I made in my query string.

EDIT : I posted the wrong query string and error message. I fixed it just now.

EDIT : Just to give better context, I'm using CURL in PHP script to retrieve those tickets.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2014

Hi,

Make sure you have the correct JQL query by using the issue navigator, then copy the relevant part of the URL to use it in the REST call. That will very likely resolve your problem.

Regards,

Geert

The same query string works just fine(returned expected result) on browser window but it does not for my script.

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2014

Hi, I just copied your query from the first URL (after jql=), pasted it in the issue navigator and then copied the encoded the encoded jql query string from the URL. This is the encoded query string that I got, and it differs from the one you posted: jql=updated>-1h%20AND%20assignee%20in%20(%27david123%27%2C%27daniel123%27)%20AND%20status%20in%20(%27open%27%2C%27reopened%27%2C%27in%20progress%27)

I found the mistake - I did not replace the space between "in" and "progress" and it was causing the issue. It wasn't an issue with browser, as the browser replaces them. Thanks for pointing that out!

Lucas Henrique Cruz April 5, 2018

Hi,

sorry for asking, but what did you replace the space by? %20?  I´m trying here but it doesn't really works :/

Suggest an answer