Projects as Clients or Teams?

Rachel Grimmelmann May 19, 2015

I have been struggling to determine how best to setup JIRA for my organization.  We have multiple teams working on multiple projects at a time.  The teams here are iOS, Android, Windows, and Platform.  When a client goes live with our software, technically that base contract project is over.  However, there may be clusters of change requests or contract modifications, so work with a client is never really over.  Here are the pros/cons I can think of right off the bat.

Client-based projects (Client A, Client B, and Client C are each distinct projects)

Pros

• We can use Gantt Charts and track project status.

Cons

• Not able to select multiple clients for a ticket
  • Does not fit in well with projects that aren't client specific (e.g., improving overall product)

Team-based projects (iOS, Android, Windows, and Platform are each distinct projects)

Pros

• Fewer projects to keep track of/less maintenance in JIRA as we grow and increase our client base
  • Easier to see how productive individuals are as members of a team
  • Ability to associate a single ticket with multiple clients

Cons

• Unable to use PM tools, like Gantt Charts

What other considerations are there?  Does integration with HipChat, Stash, Bamboo or other helpful tools lean this one way or the other?  What has been easiest for you?  

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2015

Have you tried the option of creating just 1 Project and utilizing the Component field? If not, I go with Team Based Projects. You can always workaround on the PM tools, like creating a JQL on multiple projects.

Suggest an answer