Project ticket numbering, project key seems very limited, is there another field we can use

Ben Athey January 15, 2014

We need to reference our internal job ticket number against the project for billing and invoicing, the project key would be the right place to include this number as this is also referenced against issues.

The format for our numbering system is YEAR |CLIENT CODE | JOB NUMBER eg 14MAC4021 so we need to include this against the project to easily track jobs, however the project KEY is limited to letters only. Is there anywhere else we can add this number against a project so we can filter issues and timesheets by this number.

2 answers

0 votes
Ben Athey January 19, 2014

Ok i contacted support as suggested by Nic. I will give this a go and see if this works, any other suggestions welcome.

---------------

Altering the format of the issue key is not available in OnDemand as it requires direct access to system as described here.

However, I believe we have another method which would make work much easier for your team.

I'd create projects within JIRA based upon the 'Client Code', i.e. MAC. This ensures all issues related to a single client code are easily identified.

To track the 'Job Number', i.e. 4021. I would create a new 'Custom Field' via 'Add Custom Field'. Let's call it 'Job Number'. You could then choose to add just the 'Job Number' or the full reference number you mentioned.

The benefit of this method is it allows you to filter JIRA issues by the Project (Client Code) and the 'Job Number' custom field (containing with the job number or the full reference number).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2014

Contact Atlassian OnDemand support - I believe they can enable numbers and _ for you (although the first character needs to remain a letter if I remember correctly)

Suggest an answer