Project status with traffic lights and changes history

asirotki July 12, 2017

Hi all,

I have a request from the users: they want to observe a project status in a traffic light form for a few projects at once on a dashboard. Status should have a color and a desciption. Also a history of status' changes should be supported.

What is the best way to create such feature?

I have 2 ideas about it, but may be there is smth better: 

1) Custom fields at project level. As I know Jira doesn't support custom fields at the project level. But there is an addon Profields which does. With its help I can create a custom field "Project Status" and assign it to my projects. Profield also supports changes history for these fields.

2) As another way I can create a new JIRA issue type "My Project Status" and keep one per every project.  I can show a few statuses at once using standart issue filter. Jira stores issues changes history, so I will get what I need.

2 answers

0 votes
asirotki July 14, 2017

Thank you, looks like it is solving my problem. I added a traffic light field, the only problem that this field is always visible in issues search results. How to make it visible in some search results, but hide in others?

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2017

Great,

If you're an administrator, just select the system default column configuration from the issue navigation and exclude the field by default.

Another solution is to set the field as project or issue specific, in that way the field will be only visible at the  navigator when the criteria is restricted to the specific project or issue type configured for the field.

asirotki July 14, 2017

Gaston, you are a real JIRA jedi, making a field as an issue specific is the exaclty I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2017

thanks!

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2017

i'll go with 2

A new issue type with a customfield based on the status like this one:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.jira.plugin.trafficlight.traffic-light/server/overview

Suggest an answer