Project status at end of quarter at initiative level

Maryam Omair September 1, 2022

I was able to pull up a list of initiatives with a project goal associated with them for each quarter, what I'm not sure of is how to capture a spot in time in jql. 
I was using the “was” field but Ideally we should use project status to pull up an initiatives status at the end of a qtr, but in Jira "Project Status" field (being a custom field) does not support history searches.  I tried to use Initiative Jira status to map to the Project status field that we have created. But that doesn't map directly to project status so it's kind of a conundrum.

This is the filter I have been using but it gives me the project status as it stands today, not at the end of Q1, Q2 or Q3.

type = Initiative and "Project Status[Dropdown]" is not empty and labels = Q1-2022

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Maryam Omair 

Welcome to the Community!

Status is one of the fields you can use in history searches - but this doesn't visualise what a status was at a point in time.

But you could search for if a status was in a certain state at a point in time - for example, to show issues in "Done", but that weren't before ABC date...

status = Done AND status was not Done AFTER 2022-01-01

If you need to visualise what the status was at a point in time as a column/field in Jira, you'll need to record it.

I would do the following...

• Custom date field, and name it "End of Quarter"
  • Place the field on a View screen only on an Initiative, or leave it off the screen
  • Automate the population of this field at the end of each quarter - for example...
    • Trigger: Scheduled - JQL = status changed AFTER startOfMonth(-3)
    • Action: Edit Issue - set "End of Quarter" to {{now}}

^ This will work in future, rather than in the past (although you could locate the data for last quarter and load it in) - but would make it easy to refer to in JQL :)

You could of course use an app, or pull the data out via the API and visualise this information in a BI tool, etc. But I've assumed above you want to do it via search!

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Ste

Maryam Omair September 2, 2022

Is there an app that would make pulling out this data retrospectively easier?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Hi @Maryam Omair 

Yes, there are Apps which might be able to assist here.

Check out a list of possible Apps on the Marketplace - I'd recommend using these search parameters.

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events