Project role defaults

Shani Mamka April 24, 2017

Hey,

If I go to Users and roles in a specific project, I see 3 default project roles: administrators, developer, and users.

my question is if I don't associate users with these roles the default is that these roles are empty or that they associate with the default groups: administrators, developers, and users?

What happens if I associate users to a role the default values is overwritten? 

Thank you,

Shani

5 answers

4 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

To me a big advantage of using project roles is the project admin can add/delete people in roles, unlike groups where the jira admin has to add/delete in groups

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

It's between "these roles are empty or that they associate with the default groups: administrators, developers, and users".

Jira makes no association between roles and groups that might happen to have the same name.

Jira does however have "default members" for roles.  If you go to admin -> roles, then you'll find the list of roles has space for default users and groups.  These are used only when a new project is created though, and you can remove them after creating the project, they really are just "templates".

Shani Mamka April 25, 2017

Thank you, Nic that was very helpful. 

by the way, it's under admin->system->project roles.

So if I want to change this default project roles members, I should specify project roles for each project? 

For example, if I add a user to project role administrator for a specific project it will then overwrite the default members for an administrator?

Thank you,

Shani

Like Iman mohammadi likes this
0 votes
Justin Garrett September 12, 2023

Hey guys,

Do ALL of the project roles defined in the project role browser get added to each and every project created? It doesn't look like every role is added but trying to work out how this is controlled is eluding me!

Not sure if Shani's question is actually the same as mine tbh...

I want to be able to change which project roles are added to each project by default.

The documentation doesn't seem to explain this part very well imo

Thanks in advance!

0 votes
Petra Maťková April 24, 2017

Hi Shani,

Whole configuration is based on 'Project permission scheme'.  If you set up a specific permission per group (not per project role), this group will have the permission accross all projects...

User can have several roles, that means, you can have one person in Project role 'Developer' and this person can be at the same time in the group 'administrator'. This won't be overwritten.

Hope this will help you,

Regards,

Petra

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2017

The project role name doesn't automatically associate people with it. You need to add users and/or groups to the roles. Then in permisssion schemes, workflow validators, and workflow conditions you use the project role name to test against. 

Suggest an answer