Project re-index

Lauren Brooker October 6, 2015

Hi,

I was looking through previous questions and came across re-indexing projects.

I presume you would re-index a project the same reason you would for the whole of JIRA when making configuration changes i.e. updating add ons etc.

I just wanted to ask if re-indexing projects should be done often? And is there any other reasons to why you would re-index a project?

Thanks,

Lauren

3 answers

1 vote
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2015

Normally you should not need to re-index anything as JIRA handles index updates on every issue operation. The articles below provide some details on indexing and when you should manually trigger re-index:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/re-indexing-after-major-configuration-changes-198246923.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/search-indexing-185729671.html

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2015

I tend to use it when you're messing with the field contexts that are related to single projects mostly.

1 vote
Mihamina Rakotomandimby October 6, 2015

Hi,

To my understanding, indexes are updated when issues are updated.

Then, if you dont change configuration, or if you dont manipulate the cache directory, you dont need to launch a reindexing process.

On my hosted instance, i switched the cache directory to ramFS and need to reindex after reboot.

Cheers.

0 votes
David Dunaway October 6, 2015

Is there a way to force a  re-indexing to occur via the REST API? I see that you can do a "api/2/reindex/request" . 

My use case is when we failover to our standby JIRA instances and need to re-index, can I simply issue that API call and force a re-indexing to occur, or would I need to do someother manual task to force a re-index (ie: from the UI as an adminstrative user). 

Thanks!

Suggest an answer